Frank B Lmt Ed 9" Picklock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Luke_of_Mass

Re: Frank B Lmt Ed 9" Picklock

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I second what Jules said... This Brazilian horn is to die for! If I may be so bold, I'd suggest these are better than Walt's 9'' pieces. All sit deep, kick hard as hell, no QC problems that I've come across with his (although to be fair, I'm notorious for having shit luck with stilettos LOL)

Does Frank use Brazilian horn more normally now? Or will you need to do the DiBon thing again next time around? Strange he wouldn't just drop-ship the slabs right up the street for ya...

Anyways, really sorry to hear about your father, sounds like you guys has a fairly nice relationship to collaborate like this. Mine... well, let's just say Father's day comes around more often than he does. Plus he thinks collecting switchblades is barbaric... lol

Well like I said, if there's anything we can do to get another run of these made, let us know. I'd be honored to help in some way.

Luke
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

Luke_of_Mass wrote:I second what Jules said... This Brazilian horn is to die for! If I may be so bold, I'd suggest these are better than Walt's 9'' pieces. All sit deep, kick hard as hell, no QC problems that I've come across with his (although to be fair, I'm notorious for having shit luck with stilettos LOL)

Does Frank use Brazilian horn more normally now? Or will you need to do the DiBon thing again next time around? Strange he wouldn't just drop-ship the slabs right up the street for ya...

Anyways, really sorry to hear about your father, sounds like you guys has a fairly nice relationship to collaborate like this. Mine... well, let's just say Father's day comes around more often than he does. Plus he thinks collecting switchblades is barbaric... lol

Well like I said, if there's anything we can do to get another run of these made, let us know. I'd be honored to help in some way.

Luke
I CAN say that Luke is very handy to have in your corner, when you are trying to get a project off the ground! You can count on him for anything you ask of him!

On the subject of Brazilian horn: I had no idea how scarce it was to find good Brazilian Horn back in the day, at least from Frank B! I managed to stock-pile a poop-load of nice Brazilian-Horned classics and 5MM's (at one time, I held on to 6 11" 5MM Frank B's. Not knowing any better, I sold them all...). I was spoiled by Rick G, in that he most of the time gave me first pick of his shipments, (but I feel better that I "shared" a lot of my Brazilians with the collecting community!) I am grateful to all of you who encouraged me to get Rick's memorial knives in Brazilian horn! I hope that they are as beautiful as the specimens that I have been seeing on all your posts...
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

barshoo wrote:(at one time, I held on to 6 11" 5MM Frank B's. Not knowing any better, I sold them all...).
Wow Barb! 11"- 5mm Frank B's? Besides the 5mm Frank Beltrame makes for Walt Halucha, I can't even remember Frank B offering anything in 5mm, including his Limited Editions. Those would certainly be a sight to see and a great addition to any collection.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

JulesVane wrote:
barshoo wrote:(at one time, I held on to 6 11" 5MM Frank B's. Not knowing any better, I sold them all...).
Wow Barb! 11"- 5mm Frank B's? Besides the 5mm Frank Beltrame makes for Walt Halucha, I can't even remember Frank B offering anything in 5mm, including his Limited Editions. Those would certainly be a sight to see and a great addition to any collection.
No, Jules, my recollection was WRONG! :shock: :oops: :oops: I looked for, and found, my auction ad that I saved for the 11"Brazilian "FB" 5MM, and here is what it said:

"Here is a hot, hot, HOT 11” Brazilian Horn 5MM Half Grind Stiletto…a collaboration of Walt’s and Frank Beltrame! These were limited at the time made. Features: Solid Sterling Silver Bolsters, 5MM Stainless Steel Back Spring & Leaf Spring, Choice Polished Brazilian Horn Handles, 440C Stainless Steel Half Grind Blade with Walt’s Cat Stamp and Maniago’s Stamp of Quality Assurance, and lastly Brass Liners and Pins. This blade fires like a rocket!! There are no gaps, from what I can see it is straight, and the blade sits deep in the pocket. I am certain that you will be pleased, but if you decide to return it, please send it in its original condition..."

They were the first ones made (I wish that I could recall which year it was!), and I got very good prices for selling them, but I WISH that I kept at least ONE of them! Can you imagine...SOLID STERLING SILVER (NOT NS) BOLSTERS?? They WERE!! Anyway, I'm sorry about my mis-statement... :roll:
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

Back then, in my blissful ignorance, I did not know who Walt Halucha was!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Solid Sterling Silver Bolsters??? I can only imagine the regret of letting those go! Again, I’ve never heard of any Walt’s Classic’s with Sterling Silver Bolsters. You’ve had/have some special pieces for sure Barb!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

You need a HUGE imagination to fathom my regret for letting these go!

As I have said before, I wish that I could have BACK several knives that I sold. For example, I still regret letting go my very first stag FB Swinguard...it was GLORIOUS, and I assumed that all stag looked like that. (I often wonder who has it, because I would buy it back in a heartbeat!)

Yes, these Brazilian-horned Walt's/FB 5MM's with solid sterling silver bolsters were VERY unique. I SHOULD have had my head examined for not keeping at least 2 out of those six!
DonC

Post by DonC »

Here's a pair of George Cameron's pieces he did for me with Sterling Silver bolsters. They were made when NS ha just fallen out of favor because of some of the health concerns.
DonC
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

DonC wrote:Here's a pair of George Cameron's pieces he did for me with Sterling Silver bolsters. They were made when NS ha just fallen out of favor because of some of the health concerns.
DonC
That's interesting about NS causing health concerns! Would you tell me what the concerns were?

George C did some really fine work...THANK you for posting the picture of the Solid Sterling Silver bolsters that I remember! Barb
DonC

Post by DonC »

Something to do with respiratory problems from the fumes during casting if I remember correctly but don't quote me. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
DonC
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

DonC wrote:Here's a pair of George Cameron's pieces he did for me with Sterling Silver bolsters. They were made when NS ha just fallen out of favor because of some of the health concerns.
They ARE beauties DonC! I can't imagine how sterling silver holds up as far as tarnishing goes. I have a small sterling silver cup that was bought as a gift when I was born that sat in it's little box in perfect "color" for over 40+ years. For some reason, it was taken out of it's box, sat in the open air, and within (maybe) a year, it turned dark (nearly black) tarnish with some rainbow colors among the dark tarnish. It was amazing what the air exposure did to it. (Easy enough to polish again). Do you have any tarnish problems with these bolsters, or maybe you've just applied a protective polish? It certainly must be a rare material to use for bolsters. I think yours are the only I've seen. Barb's were the first I've even heard of. They look very nice!

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have used sterling silver bolsters on several knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

METALGOD wrote:
JulesVane wrote:I'm not positive, but I believe Bernie's run of 150 for each of the years these were available (2005, 2007 & 2013), show us the minimum amount to be ordered would be 150 pieces. Even at a "good" price at this bulk size order, it sure wouldn't be cheap to do IMO.
my contract agreement with Frank is for 100 pieces i still have the contract stating i own the "liner" and top bolsters stamp to make the 9" regular bolster stiletto picklock. the first run was in 2005 was 100 pieces maybe few more , 2007 150pieces , 2013 im not positive but was like 110 somewhere around there . my father made the certificates for me for 2005 and 2007 , he was very sick in 2013 and died shortly after me receiving my order so 2013 didnt come with certificates. my father made certificates here in usa then sent them to Frank in Italy to sign then Frank sent them back with knives.
I just recently had the wonderful good fortune of buying a mint condition 07 limited 9inch stag.
Last edited by picklocksrock on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

JulesVane wrote:...Just figured you guys could use a break from all the excitement. From 2007...

...What does the "& BEF stand for on the rear tang?
I’m glad I found this post. Very awesome picklock man. So was that what they did for the first editions. Kept off the serial numbers. I was getting worried. I just found the 001 in stag. These are my favorite knives. You can just feel the superb quality right in your hand. Locks up like bank vaults. Thank you!
-Robert H. Shuller
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

Luke_of_Mass wrote:
JulesVane wrote:
sprink wrote:You're right , i read over the Brazilian horn i have blond, dark, stag and black pearl. i will work on getting a picture
...Still hoping to see those pics sprink. I added a 2nd today with lovely horn....

Jules, I saw you snagged the first Brazilian horn out of the bunch that went up on SD, figured I better make my move... :D

Mine arrived today - new pride and joy of my collection. I love the certificate. The 2013 run either didn't have such a certificate, or the one I got second-hand was missing it.

Even though it's not a Walt's, I am considering buying one of the Latama 9'' display cases for this one... it's just that good!

I'm hoping Bernie does another run of these - Bernie if you do let me know I wanna pre-order a shitload of these babies :P
Very beautiful, I bet it’s a joy to own! Eye candy
-Robert H. Shuller