Frank B Lmt Ed 9" Picklock

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
sprink

Re: Frank B Lmt Ed 9" Picklock

Post by sprink »

You're right , i read over the Brazilian horn i have blond, dark, stag and black pearl. i will work on getting a picture
Lumberjackbo65

Post by Lumberjackbo65 »

Beautiful, I like everything about this knife :)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

sprink wrote:You're right , i read over the Brazilian horn i have blond, dark, stag and black pearl. i will work on getting a picture
...Still hoping to see those pics sprink. I added a 2nd today with lovely horn....

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

pappy57 wrote:There you go Chris, that pic of the blonde is the perfect example of a blade that sits "proud". The reverse would be "banana".
Interesting - slipjoint pocketknife collectors usually use the term 'proud' to describe tip peaking. I'd call the knife in question badly overextended, but Italian stiletto guys seem to have their own unique terminology.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

JulesVane wrote:
sprink wrote:You're right , i read over the Brazilian horn i have blond, dark, stag and black pearl. i will work on getting a picture
...Still hoping to see those pics sprink. I added a 2nd today with lovely horn....

Jules, I saw you snagged the first Brazilian horn out of the bunch that went up on SD, figured I better make my move... :D

Mine arrived today - new pride and joy of my collection. I love the certificate. The 2013 run either didn't have such a certificate, or the one I got second-hand was missing it.

Even though it's not a Walt's, I am considering buying one of the Latama 9'' display cases for this one... it's just that good!

I'm hoping Bernie does another run of these - Bernie if you do let me know I wanna pre-order a shitload of these babies :P
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Nice grab Luke! That is one lovely piece as well!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Here's the one I've got from the 2013 run...

I'm a bit torn as to which one is my favorite - I am a big fan of swedge blades; personally I don't feel they get the love or attention they deserve. I don't like plain or dagger blades, but if you were ever gonna use a stiletto, a bayo would be entirely unsuitable for anything utilitarian other than stabbing as the edge angle wouldn't work well for anything. But the humble swedge brings to the table the best of both worlds, aesthetically pleasing from a collector's point of view, yet suitable for sharpening from that of a utilitarian. Of course I'm just projectin my own thoughts, all collectors are different, and if you ask 5 collectors what kind of blade they'd like to see on a display knife, you'll get at least 6 opinions lol...

If Frank and Sara were more accommodating to requests for small orders (see Rick's Memorial Switchblade thread#1), I'd be trying to make an order for a modern "transitional" throwback with n/s and said swedge...
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I'm not positive, but I believe Bernie's run of 150 for each of the years these were available (2005, 2007 & 2013), show us the minimum amount to be ordered would be 150 pieces. Even at a "good" price at this bulk size order, it sure wouldn't be cheap to do IMO.

barshoo

Post by barshoo »

JulesVane wrote:
...What does the "& BEF stand for on the rear tang?
I believe it's Bernie E. Folgore aka Metal God
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Luke_of_Mass wrote:...the humble swedge brings to the table the best of both worlds, aesthetically pleasing from a collector's point of view, yet suitable for sharpening from that of a utilitarian.
I'm sure that's why Bill chose it for his Leverletto. The Frosolone-style swedged needle/spear-point with a high (as opposed to full) flat-grind strikes me as the ideal compromise between a usable profile and a wicked-looking display-queen. Pat Havlin seems to favor that style as well.
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

WHAT a gorgeous Brazilian Horn!!! The one in Dark Horn is pretty, too!! :shock: :D
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

hey good snag on the Brazilian there were only 10 made in brazilian because at the time i had them made Frank did not use Brazilian horn on any knives only on walts knives so i had to buy the horn from Dibon in italy then send it back to italy from usa so Frank could use it he used it to make 10 picklocks for me it took 20 small slabs so this put the brazilian horn knives at a higher price due to horn used .
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

barshoo wrote:
JulesVane wrote:
...What does the "& BEF stand for on the rear tang?
I believe it's Bernie E. Folgore aka Metal God

the BEF on back tang of 9" Frank Beltrame picklocks are my initials yes :)
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

JulesVane wrote:I'm not positive, but I believe Bernie's run of 150 for each of the years these were available (2005, 2007 & 2013), show us the minimum amount to be ordered would be 150 pieces. Even at a "good" price at this bulk size order, it sure wouldn't be cheap to do IMO.
my contract agreement with Frank is for 100 pieces i still have the contract stating i own the "liner" and top bolsters stamp to make the 9" regular bolster stiletto picklock. the first run was in 2005 was 100 pieces maybe few more , 2007 150pieces , 2013 im not positive but was like 110 somewhere around there . my father made the certificates for me for 2005 and 2007 , he was very sick in 2013 and died shortly after me receiving my order so 2013 didnt come with certificates. my father made certificates here in usa then sent them to Frank in Italy to sign then Frank sent them back with knives.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

METALGOD wrote:hey good snag on the Brazilian there were only 10 made in brazilian because at the time i had them made Frank did not use Brazilian horn on any knives only on walts knives so i had to buy the horn from Dibon in italy then send it back to italy from usa so Frank could use it he used it to make 10 picklocks for me it took 20 small slabs so this put the brazilian horn knives at a higher price due to horn used .
Wow, thanks for that info Bernie! So, the limited edition in 2007 was 150, but only 10 in Brazilian Horn. I guess that makes Luke and I both luckier than we even thought! They are beauties.