Proposal: Fish for a Facebook Friend

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Proposal: Fish for a Facebook Friend

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Aaron, my Facebook friend, sent me this picture of a vintage American, which he said was his favorite style. He asked me to design one for him, with some modifications. First off, it would be bigger and without a safety.

Aaron is left handed, and he wanted an earless 12" with a bayonet blade. As we were discussing he inquired to see if it could be built entirely without bolsters. We settled on a lockback format with concealed rocker.

Based on past experience with bolsterless designs from George Cameron and Killbucket, I knew the issue would be protecting the scales from cracking at the pivot pin when the knife slammed home, especially if it had a hard kicking spring. To solve this, I designed it with internal bolsters, to make it extra strong at the pivot. Unless you look at the edge, it's all scale from end to end.

He wanted a flush button and I suggested that it could be fish shape, so that's what you see here. Note the extra pin at the very front to make sure that the scales don't lift from the liner. The profile is subtly rounded to maintain a clean and smooth flow from end to end.

Here's the simplified view of the exterior, as many folks have no interest in the internal mechanics.

And here is what it looks like closed and locked.

Check back in six months, and perhaps I will have pictures of the finished knife. As always, I appreciate comments, questions and suggestions/criticisms.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
thom

Re: Proposal: Fish for a Facebook Friend

Post by thom »

Can't wait 6 months to see finished product. lol. It's Gonna be nice.
Thom
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Proposal: Fish for a Facebook Friend

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Nice knife. That's a "carry" knife if I ever saw one.
Fishtail Picklock