Double Double Toil and Trouble

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Double Double Toil and Trouble

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I was inspired by the recent Sardinian Knives post with the double bladed knife, one automatic and one manual shaped like a straight razor. Here's the link to the one I mean.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25462

I've always been a fan of doubles, and most of them fire out of opposite ends of the knife; sort of a "69" arrangement with a firing mechanism on each scale. I have a couple of doubles firing out the same end, and still both utilize firing mechanisms in each scale. So I wondered if there were a way to have two automatic blades in different grinds, both fired from the normal front side, independently and locked independently. This is the result. While I was at, I streamlined the picklocks and added a bolster mechanism to lift the tab without pivoting the entire bolster. This is an idea created by Joel "Benthos" Curtis. So here she is, 33 cm. overall, bottomless. At this point it's just a design exercise, and it would probably cost four times the price of one 33 cm custom. It's cool, but it's an expensive novelty. It's drawn as an earless icepick, but, of course, ears, safeties and pommels could easily be added. It could even be a swingguard (only one guard per blade mounted to the outside.

The "near" bayonet blade in green is shown fully open and locked, the "far" ripper blade in yellow is shown just at the point where it loses contact with the kicker spring. (View is missing the Benthos mechanism.)

This is a simplified open view showing only the external parts and swapping the open and partly open blades. Note in the top view that the picklocks are abbreviated and mirror images. I also show a central liner the same thickness as the blade, which adds a lot of stability and saves from removing too much material from the locktabs near the pin hole.

This is a simplified closed view. The green bayonet blade is nearest the fire buttons; the yellow ripper blade is nearer the back side. Oddly the top or right button fires the rear blade and the bottom or left button fires the front blade.

Here's the open overview with internals parts. Note the rocker mechanisms are of different lengths but pivot on the same axis. The buttons are shown in "fire" postion.

Here's the closed view with internals. The fire buttons are shown in "rest" position (blade locked against the kick spring). To create the Benthos mechanism, a countersunk hole is drilled through the bolster vertically. You insert the pin from the top and add then add the bottom disc to lock it in place and give you something to push on. The locktabs themselves provide constant tension on the pin release.

Hope you enjoyed this post.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
gravknife

Re: Double Double Toil and Trouble

Post by gravknife »

Dave

I really like that design .

I always wondered how you could achieve having 2 blades that fire from the same side of the knife,and here it is .

I didn't even think it was possible to be honest as most of the double blade switchblades or combos that I have seen have one manual opening blade and one auto ,or as you say 2 firing buttons/levers 1 on each side until you posted this way of doing things.

I think its a great design and something different for the people who collect unique knives and opening systems .I like both blade shapes ,the ripper one looks pretty mean. 8)

I'll also bet it would feel brilliant in hand ....such a hefty piece as double bladers usually are .
The mind can only wander with ideas for the split button design....... such as a yin and yang colobaration or harvey 2 face set up ,silver/gold etc plus the scales materials and adornments that one of these could possess.

Great looking knife and design and I truly hope that it comes to fruition one day and ends up on here whist I am still here.
These designs always get me thinking and help me understand the actual mechanics on these knives....something I am ashamedly inept at

So thanks for doing them

I hope your well my freind.

Ian.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Interesting design exercise. Would be a kick to see it built.
Why don't you post a photo of the double that George built for you for those who've not seen it?
DonC
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Intriguing.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

DonC wrote:Interesting design exercise. Would be a kick to see it built.
Why don't you post a photo of the double that George built for you for those who've not seen it?
DonC
I will go you one better, here's lots of them.

First up, my 13" George Cameron. (His wife's pictures are so much better than mine!)

And for a bonus, here's the one that got away. Note green liners instead of red. This was the one George nearly completed, even had the scales cut before deciding he didn't like it and starting over. The one I have is actually the second one!

Here's a Renzo Pascotto double, not mine, dammit.

This one is by personna non-gratta. I understand these are still available .

I did own this one at one time. Dual-Speed is a Chinese counterfeit of a Mikov.

Muskrat Man created this beautiful double Leverletto. (He will probably complain loudly that I used the image without his permission. Jeez, you can't even praise the guy!)

I also have a double Microtech OTF, says so right there on the box ... only it never existed from the Microtech folks. A guy tried to sell me a counterfeit Rolex in Metamoris one time. "It's not a fake", he said, "It's a good copy."
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."