8" Picklock - Nice Horn

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Panzerfaust

Re: 8" Picklock - Nice Horn

Post by Panzerfaust »

Nice!
DonC

Post by DonC »

Great example of a classic picklock. Are the liners D stamped?
DonC
texans123

Post by texans123 »

Hi Don - I believe so. How exactly do I determine this? Do you need a certain photo?
DonC

Post by DonC »

With the blade open look inside the blade well at the button side liner. If it's a D stamp you'll see what looks like a pair of D shaped openings where the liner material has been punched and folded at 90 degrees to form a pair of ears to hold the button mechanism. You may have to find some thing to push down the kick spring a little bit to see the D's.
DonC
texans123

Post by texans123 »

Thanks Don. I looked and do see an opening punch in the liner on the button side. Checked a few other newer knives and they do not have this, so I'd say this picklock does have D stamped liners.
DonC

Post by DonC »

The D stamp would usually put it in the period before transitional started showing up so around 1960 or before. I think AGA is about the only producer using the D's for modern production pieces.
DonC