Il Punto, The Point, Updated

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Il Punto, The Point, Updated

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Based on a couple of inquiries from fellow collectors, I revisited the 35-36 cm monster, Il Punto, and it's somewhat more diminutive cousin, the 33 cm Puntette. Both of these designs go back a year or more and DoubleD knives has made a lot of progress since then, so it was time to revisit and apply the latest thought processes. Il Punto shrank a bit to exactly 35 cm (13.78") and Puntette went to exactly 33 cm which is just a bit under 13". I show the simple exterior view and the detail view with internal components for those who are interested. Il Punto has a slightly meatier profile, the extreme taper on the original gave Duke a fit. The other changes were functional and ease of construction improvements. The first four figures are Il Punto, version 5.

The next four figures are Puntette, and this one is not merely a smaller Il Punto. I drew it bottomless and more wasp waisted. A pommel could be added, if desired. I drew it with swept guards, though those are difficult to due and Duke hates them. One of the Italian builders is contemplating this one.

You may note that in both designs, the internal hump to allow the kicker to tension the lockback is over-sized and creating an interference fit. I put extra meat in the template so that the builder has something he can tweak and fit. Too much can be ground away. Too little is much more difficutl to deal with.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Il Punto, The Point, Updated

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

The knife appears to be the ultimate "Icepick" style automatic, lock-back knife. If this "superb stabber" had a 440C or better blade, it would work well in either a spy thriller or a street rumble. 8) :wink: Scales from either Mother Of Pearl, Abalone, Faux Ivory or a nice Dark Horn would compliment this "pig sticker" rather nicely.

Don't you think?
Fishtail Picklock