Hubertus - Candy Stripe

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
texans123

Hubertus - Candy Stripe

Post by texans123 »

Hi All -

This is my 1st post here. I joined your nice forum last year and have enjoyed looking around at the great switchblades shared here. I bought this interesting Hubertus from Ebay many moons ago around 2001-2002. I'm not collecting autos much these days but have picked up a few over the years going back to the Bladeauction.com days. So, thought I'd share this rather different Hubertus. I picked up the box some years later.
Attachments
IMG_8267.JPG
IMG_8267.JPG (201.12 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
IMG_8266.JPG
IMG_8266.JPG (286.22 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8265.JPG (157.24 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
IMG_8262.JPG
IMG_8262.JPG (168.36 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
IMG_8260.JPG
IMG_8260.JPG (241.49 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
IMG_8259.JPG
IMG_8259.JPG (245.4 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Hubertus - Candy Stripe

Post by Bill DeShivs »

While very neat, I doubt that's the original handles.
That particular celluloid, from that time frame, is very bad about deteriorating. I used it on several knives back then.
I suspect that's why the bolsters and pins are so discolored and tarnished. Keep an eye on it, and keep it away from other valuable knives.
When that stuff is outgassing, it will ruin anything near it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
texans123

Post by texans123 »

Thanks Bill. These scales are rock hard and extremely solid. I've only lightly cleaned a bit of surface rust on the bottom on the knife and replaced the spring a few years back. The story on the knife from the Ebay seller (I know buy the item not the story) is he was selling this and other collectibles for a friend. The friend was a German man that returned from a trip back home and ordered this knife with these scales. The fit and quality match the other older Hubertus that I have. I showed this to another autoknife dealer some years back and he said every now and then a Hubertus shows up with these handles.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's possible they are original to the knife.
My point is, they will probably have to be taken OFF the knife very soon. Celluloid doesn't soften, it gets harder and starts cracking. Long before this happens, it starts to discolor (like yours is) and the non ferrous metals start to deeply tarnish (which yours is.)
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
texans123

Post by texans123 »

Thanks again Bill. So far so good and I've had it a long time with no problems, in the box, in an old safe. Very happy with the knife and would buy it again without hesitation.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and perhaps I'll post a few other nice items in the future.

Cheers Gents.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

What I am telling you is that you already HAVE a problem. And it's about to get worse.
I know. I have used the same material and it's inferior. It's your knife, and you can let it rot away if you want. I'm just telling you.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

First one I have seen in candy stripe. ...Neat.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Texans: As Bill said It's your knife but if it were me I'd take the information he's provided and act accordingly. Bill has been around a long time and he's worth listening to.
DonC
texans123

Post by texans123 »

Guys - thanks for the tip on celluloid outgassing. Today I read some interesting older discussions on bladeforum.com. and a few other places. For now, I've changed the way I'm storing this knife and it is no longer near any other parts of the collection. Now I need to check some old American pocket knives that were my Grandpa's that are in a box with other old and misc. knives.

Yes, I've heard and read about Mr. Deshivs and his work, the Leverletto etc. No doubt an expert in the world of knife repair and collecting.