Ripper, Jack The

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Ripper, Jack The

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Well, here's my latest bit of insanity. The "Ripper" name comes not from Whitechapel, but from the aggressively pointed and edged saber shape blade. When I first began to play with this idea, I though, "It should have a full six inches of cutting edge, regardless of ricasso." When I got that roughed out, it was over 14" long and I thought it looked a bit like a citrus knife with roid rage. So I shortened it to 13-5/16". It's now more of a legitimate 13-incher and still has plenty of blade.

As you can tell, it's a bottomless fishtail. I call the release mechanism "picklockback" because the forward part is picklock and the aft part is lockback. Thus we get the security of the pin in tab and the ease of a rear positioned finger release. Because of this, the actual locking tab can be very abbreviated in size and shape. I have drawn it with flatguard ears, but am toying with an earless "icepick" and a swingguard. It will all depend on the comments and my waffling mind up to the time it actually gets built.

The shape of the blade allows it to be deeply hollow ground and thus create a very favorable edge for sharpening. By creating the clip as shown, the point is below the center-line and there is no central grind line. It's not a flat grind, but rather more of a Frosolone grind. Made out of 1095 this should be able to stab and slash with ease (if it were practical, rather than display, as it is.)

It sits very deep as you can see. As always, I greatly appreciate your questions, comments and criticisms.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
DonC

Re: Ripper, Jack The

Post by DonC »

Looks good Dave. Hope someone pulls the trigger on it for you.
DonC
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

DonC wrote:Looks good Dave. Hope someone pulls the trigger on it for you.
DonC
I'll pull the trigger myself, once I fine tune some aforementioned variables. Somebody will build it for me.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

john

Post by john »

Hi Dave,
I like the fishtail, the low profile button, no safety, flat “S” guards and the blade design is WAY WICKED COOL!!! I can’t recall any knives with the type of lock/release on this knife. I like your idea of the lockback picklock! I think an ice pick version would fabulous. What would the swing guards look like? I would need to see them before I could give it a thumbs up/down.
I can’t wait to see the finished knife!
Keep up the great work Dave.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
lance

Post by lance »

I love the locktab and overall ferocity of the knife,
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

lance wrote:I love the locktab and overall ferocity of the knife,
Thanks, Buddy. That's version one 11/16" wide blade 13-5/16" overall. It looked a bit fat to me when I printed it actual size, so version 2 (or actually 2A, 2B, and maybe 2C) are on the virtual workbench. These are 5/8" X 13", and just a shade more aggressive.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I'll take one! Make it 11" long and with a 1095 carbon steel hardened to 59-60 Rockwell and I'll give up my quest to have someone make my daddy's old Latama knife. If it has a 5mm spine tapering down to a needle-point and razor's edge and I'll be happier than a pig in a mudhole on a hot Georgia summer's day!
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:I'll take one! Make it 11" long and with a 1095 carbon steel hardened to 58-59 Rockwell and I'll give up my quest to have someone make my daddy's old Latama knife. If it has a 5mm spine tapering down to a needle-point and razor's edge and I'll be happier than a pig in a mudhole on a hot Georgia summer's day!
Sent you a PM.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Fishtail Picklock

Would it be too much to ask for a slightly more "clip oriented" blade and a straight large tab picklock design? I'm not too interested in a "stiletto" style. But a Fishtail Picklock with a thicker standard Picklock stiletto body.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

PM sent
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Dave:

You're right. The Ripper doesn't need a safety. This knife will be great for display. As you know, my personal configuration will make it far more amenable to carry and use. Evidently, you agree.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:Dave:

You're right. The Ripper doesn't need a safety. This knife will be great for display. As you know, my personal configuration will make it far more amenable to carry and use. Evidently, you agree.
Sure do!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

ILikeStilettos

Icepick Ripper

Post by ILikeStilettos »

My buddy, John, wanted to see this one done in an icepick style, and quite honestly I wanted to make it more thin and wicked, so here she is. Again I've used that combination picklock/lockback (should I call it a "fishback"?). There was actually room to drop it between the bolsters, so from the side it looks like a standard lockback, but from the top you can see the locktab and pin. (I am still planning on doing a swingguard version, too.) The fire button is shown depressed in this view.

I also changed the handle contour to be more imitative of the classic fishtails, though this one is still bottomless and very waspy. In this view the fire button has returned. It's very low profile. I should have added an enlarged end view. The scales will be 1/4" thick at the midline and taper down on the edges. The bolster follows this contour without a step, plus additionally thinning toward the blade. Slabby scales are fine in their place, such as the 11" utilitarian design I sent to you, Scott, but here I wanted a smooth flow in all three dimensions.

What do you think, gentlemen?
Last edited by ILikeStilettos on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Fishtail Picklock

I like the looks of it (I really do). If you were to build it like that with an ATS-34 steel blade, they would sell as if they were hotcakes covered in melting butter and steaming hot maple syrup during the middle of a blizzard!
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:I like the looks of it (I really do). If you were to build it like that with an ATS-34 steel blade, they would sell at $550.00 each as if they were hotcakes covered in melting butter and steaming hot maple syrup during the middle of a blizzard!
Thanks, swinger coming up. BTW, 5/32" thick blade from 1095 and 1/16" stainless liners. I also added a few comments to the previous post with the new drawings.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690