Ripper, Jack The

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Heavy duty Ripper

Post by ILikeStilettos »

And here's yet another version of the Ripper for my friend, Fishtail Picklock. He wanted an 11" ultra sturdy, so this one is a 3/16" blade. He plans on using it and wanted a very sharp and functional knife. Note, this is not the way I would have done it for me, but it's what he wanted and I'm fine with that. First I show the simplified open and closed views, then another set with all the internals. It features an oversize locktab and front bolster with lower guard incorporated into the profile (and which also nicely conceals some of the ugly bits when the knife is closed. It's a picklock with exaggerated fishtail bottom. The mechanism consists of a flat button level with the top of the scales and a recessed detent that allows you to fire it, but prevents accidental release. The jimping on the spine of the blade is intended to give you a place for your thumb and to further prevent your hand from slipping forward onto the edge. The lock pin is also 3/16" diameter and the tab is a full 1/8" thick.

Here's the simplified, closed view:

I'm using the Latama style kickspring again.

As always, your comments, questions and criticisms are greatly appreciated.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Ripper, Jack The

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Bless you, Dave.

Thank you for indulging the rest of our colleagues with this version of the knife. Thanks for letting people see what a real Italian-style with a distinctly American flavor. A true "working" automatic knife. I wish an American company would create a production knife such as this. (It would be too costly for such an effort).

Again, thank you Dave.

Everyone else can eat their hearts out! :P :mrgreen: (Just kidding).
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

The reason that I'm so beholding to Dave is that this will essentially end my search for the elusive 11" Carbon Steel Latama Fishtail Picklock. I am truly grateful for this engineering effort, as this is my "grail" automatic knife. I won't be wishing and hoping that I'll be able to carry a knife that will "work all day" and come back for more. Strength, a 4 1/2" cutting edge and jimping on the spine add to the knife's versatility. 1095 carbon steel that's wide and thick along with a grind that will make this a hell-for-stout cutting tool makes my heart sing! The only knife that could come anywhere near to it would be a Buck 110 Elite Auto knife that is 1 1/2 times the size of the original. (Trust me, that isn't going to happen).

THIS IS THE STUFF THAT DREAMS ARE MADE FROM!
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

F.P
.Im so glad you may finally get a knife worthy of your title my freind.
Once again Dave has come up with the technical goods and your in very good hands with him to select the correct builder for different projects.
Its a" mean lean machine" with a good user clipoint blade.
Great choice my freind.
I sadly have no Fishtails but love their aesthetics.

Ian
Fishtail Picklock

Thank you, Ian.

Not only is this knife a "link" to my late father, but as you said, it is a "lean mean machine". The blade will be a wide 13/16" across. and .188" thick at the spine's back the spine thickness will be .125". The blade will have a flat grind. 4 1/2" of cutting edge makes for a powerful instrument. This is a true cutting tool that's designed to be used.

Wimps need not apply. ;)
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Hope it works out for you!
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

Dave sent me another set of drawings with the wider (and thicker) blade with a slightly steeper flat grind. When I finally receive this piece It will be tough enough to go out and fell a small tree! I'll ask Dave to "re-christen" the knife with a name he decides upon. If he decides to call it the "Heavy Duty Ripper" it will be called that as a salute to his engineering skill and prowess.

I'm overjoyed with Dave's work and effort. Before he ships it to me, I'll ask him to post pictures of my "grail" knife.

Again, I take off my bowler in deference to Dave's genius!
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:Dave sent me another set of drawings with the wider (and thicker) blade with a slightly steeper flat grind. When I finally receive this piece It will be tough enough to go ou and fell a small tree! I'll ask Dave to "re-christen" the knife with a name he decides upon. If he decides to call it the "Heavy Duty Ripper" it will be called that as a salute to his engineering skill and prowess.

I'm overjoyed with Dave's work and effort. Before he ships it to me, I'll ask him to post pictures of my "grail" knife.

Again, I take off my bowler in deference to Dave's genius!
Pick a name. Something naval or referring to your dad's give name? Big Chief? (naval chief, and it's big?) By the way, I have an intelligent file naming system to define version and sub-version, but I do name each of the knives so that it's easy to identify which design we are talking about. So it makes sense on a number of levels to choose a name.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

In the Navy, Dad's nickname was "Boats", short for Boatswain's Mate. Father was a Boatswain's Mate 1st Class.

We'll figure it out.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong. I'm going to have Dave go with the slimmer 3/4" blade for the 5" long blade. The proportions for the 1095 brushed steel, clip point blade will be proportionally adequate and tough enough to handle any task that I'm likely to encounter. This will be a great knife! I want to be the first one to admit when I've "gone overboard".

I've already told Dave and he'll make the appropriate adjustments.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

I sat down and figured out (according to the CPI inflation index) Dad would have paid about $8.50 in April of 1936 for his Latama Fishtail Picklock. (Equaling 152.95 in December of 2017).
Fishtail Picklock
john

Post by john »

Hi Dave,

I really like what you did with this version of the Jack The Ripper Stiletto. Slimming it as you did makes is look even better than your beefy version. If you had not put it on a diet I would still think your original was a fabulous design.

Dave, Copyright your designs https://www.google.com/search?q=copyrig ... 66&bih=637
Protect your wonderful designs.

John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Fishtail Picklock

Agan, Dave I doff my bowler to your genius. We shall make this happen and I can die a happy "knife guy". All I have left are memories and a little time left on this sphere. I'd like to enjoy it for all it is worth.

I wish everyone could have the knife that really makes them happy.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Latama company was founded in 1949.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Thanks, Bill. That means that my father's Fishtail Picklock must have been made by someone else. Would you happen to know who might have been manufacturing knives of this type during the mid-1930's? Since I can't ask my father, I would like to know who may have manufactured his old knife.

By the way Bill, you must admit the knife that I'll be having Duke build has a certain sense of "style". There's nothing quite like a custom switchblade knife that has a panache that can't be found in a production auto.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock