Maltese Monster

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Maltese Monster

Post by ILikeStilettos »

OK, I know PLP has done this before, but please indulge me playing the same game again.

Here we have a nice Maltese picklockback (that is a picklock that operates like a lockback). It's slender and wicked looking like in the old days. I tried to follow tradition as much as possible, in that it is not bottomless and has a safety. I did not put the button at mid scale, but rather nearer to the top. I have conceived it as having solid NS bolster and pommel, with flatguards. It has a slightly extended false edge, though nothing approaching a dagger. It will probably be hollow ground. I'd like to contour the scales to match bolster and pommel so the lines flow smoothly with no step down and do a nice flat top fire button. For myself, I'd eliminate the safety, but I am showing it with so that if anyone wants one, they get the whole picture. That's pretty much standard, right?

You may have noticed that there's a strange arrangement of pins - not only the double pin for the pommel to locate the kicker (one piece spring) but also extra pins to attach the scales. The blade probably seems to be about as thin as they ever used on stilettos, a 3.5 mm look. That probably accounts for the rather small lock pin in the tab.

It should close up nicely and bury the point deeply within the fan so that peeking will never be an issue.

Now, if I tell you that the blade is 1/4" thick, the pivot is 1/4" and the rest of those pins are 1/8" along with 3/32" (2,3 mm) liners ... what does that tell you? Wait a minute, that knife would have to be really large ...

I've included the 13" James Dean to give you an idea of scale. The design is for a 26" knife. It's not as big as many of the display knives, but it's my attempt to maintain proportions. Most of the display knives play fast and loose with a standard knife, making it longer, but taking out the curves or using different scales for length, width and thickness. In this design the knife is only 1-1/4" wide at the high point of the handles, about 3" across the guards. The blade is 1-1/4" wide.

As always, I'm ready for questions, comments and criticisms.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
METALGOD

Re: Maltese Monster

Post by METALGOD »

wow that is badd ass lol cant wait to see finished product :) what kinda handles you puttin on er ? also me personally like traditional dome top or rounded button some reason i never liked the flat top buttons they are cool but i dont know just me i guess like the dome shape . to me safeties on knife that big really have no purpose but look cool to me a stiletto looks weird without a safety , the 3 foot and 6 foot picklocks have safety but i bet they are nnever used but without them the knife would look weird
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Instant sumbitc#! The safety on a blade this large is relatively vestigial. This is a bad boy of the first magnitude. I, too, want to view the finished product. This is an expensive "wall hanger". Nice, but a "wall hanger" just the same.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Best I can tell is that It's going on Duke's to do list. If you really want one, I can get Gulraiz to build faster, and he could even do a Damascus blade. Based on the last two comments, I may just blow off the safety. We could easily do a domed button. While this will be a wall hanger, it shouldn't be an 25 pound arm load. It should still feel like a one handed knife with a good snap and decent speed, albeit BIG. As to scale material, I do have some big chunks of gorgeous stabilized giraffe or wildebeest. I dislike two piece handles with a spacer and I am trying to avoid wood, but the length pretty much precludes stag. Whatever we use will probably need to be laminated to some micarta to produce the 1/2" thickness. I can order some wild stabilized hybrids, but to me it should look more or less traditional, and not obviously acrylic.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."