AKC Speed Hunter

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

AKC Speed Hunter

Post by JulesVane »

For some un-known reason, I've been into the smaller variety of switchblades lately to add to my larger version collection. The 7" AKC Speed Hunter caught my attention, so I started my search. I really wanted a single blade version, but when I saw that this piece was "First Run" but double bladed (knife & saw), I figured why not grab it? I'm actually glad I did. Not that I plan on sawing anything anytime soon with it, but the added saw blade gives this little 7"er some extra heft (almost as if it had a 5.5mm backspring). Great kick on it. I'm very pleased. Now, I shall start searching older posts to gather any past member info I can find on it. It was sold to me as "discontinued". Not so sure about that. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Fishtail Picklock

Re: AKC Speed Hunter

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

You may have to go to Blade HQ or another stateside distributor for the AKC line. I, too like the Speed Hunter. If the steel in the Speed Hunter were available in a true 440C or 9cr19Mov steel blade it would be a superb small game, pocket-carry auto.

This is just one man's opinion.
Fishtail Picklock
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

i have a double blade with blonde horn, i think they also made a 3blade (don't quote me on that thou) and i bought a second from stu that i edc.

i think tanto carries these on his site.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I may of caused some confusion...I bought the Speed Hunter pictured above and was just wondering what other members thoughts were on them. Where I may find some "history" on the First Run or if they are indeed discontinued. I did notice that AKC changes their tang stamp, so hard to tell older from newer. Whenever I get a First Run edition of any piece, I like to try to get dates and such, but getting info isn't the easiest to do on a not-so-popular piece. Mr. Tryker, your blonde horn sounds pretty (haven't seen it in those scales). Sounds like you like it if you EDC it. Thanks guys!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I'm not sure if they have been discontinued but I haven't noticed many for sale in a long time.

Just like everything Italian and so called limited edition...They could whip out another batch at anytime....Aren't they still building first run Leverlettos 20 years now...lol

I have a couple of these left that I have kept. I was always going to edc one but the darn things all seem like they are close to peeking and scared me to actually use. If you have one that closes deep you have a rare one from what I have experienced.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Leverlettos have been out for 10 years this year. The first run was only around 200 knives.
It is still in current production because it is a consistent seller.
Except for the stilettos, almost all the other Italian autos are made in batches. Then another model may be made for a while.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill...what or why is "first run" stamped on some styles? I can see "limited edition" (meaning only a certain number produced). But, to create a new style, actually stamp it first run, then proceed to continue to produce the same style? Is it to test sales before going forward with further production? Maybe it would make more sense (to me), if they were to number the first run pieces like 1 out of 100 for example. I realize you know with your Leverletto, but is there any way of finding out how many first run pieces were produced? I've written the Campolin family on other questions and unless it involves me buying, I don't get much of a response lol. Thanks for chiming in Bill.

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Because some collectors and users want proof that they have one of the first of those models. Some may sell for a premium also-offsetting production costs.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Sorry Bill for using the Leverletto for an example. It just seemed like every Leverletto I seen up until about the time the kits came out were marked first run. It wasn't meant as a knock on you or the Leverletto, but I ain't gonna lie it may have been a little jab at the Italians and the way they do things.

Sure seems like the Leverletto has been out for longer then 10 years but congrats on 10 years!
Fishtail Picklock

If I had the "liquid assets" I would like one of the Due Bois Lever action autos. Their 440C flat grind blade is tempered properly and it is built for rugged, daily use (EDC).
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

I carried the slimline today. It is a comfortable and useful "carry knife". (It is dangerously sharp too)! Smile, Bill. AKC makes a great product and I feel comfortable carrying this on my person as a last-ditch backup in a tight spot.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Actually, Massaro makes the slimline, as well as the Leverletto. He makes the Leverletto exclusively for AKC.
Fishtail Picklock

Bill DeShivs wrote:Actually, Massaro makes the slimline, as well as the Leverletto. He makes the Leverletto exclusively for AKC.
Thanks, Bill. I stand corrected.

By God, that'll teach me!

Salute!
Fishtail Picklock