A "bowie" for Vagabund

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

A "bowie" for Vagabund

Post by ILikeStilettos »

In a previous thread Vagabund opined that he'd love to have a bowie bladed automatic, but provided a Kissing Crane manual for the shape he liked. So I designed one, in 11" length, as that seems to be the most desirable size for collectors. I also included a safety, which is not my preference, but I tried to stay traditional.

The KC has some interesting features. It's a saber blade with a slightly upswept point and uses a rectangular section of the spine rather than a round pin, so the hole in the tab is rectangular. I've drawn it with DoubleD's standard 5/32" thick blade and 3/32" pins (the mid is 1/16"). The pivot is 1/8", which should be plenty for a knife of this size. The flat grind design really makes for a sharp edge, though if Knifemaker does it, it will likely be hollow ground for even more speed and sharpness.

The one Vagabund showed was a humpback, but there was room to conceal the hump ... so I did. The point stows nice and deep. I'm thinking stainless or brass liners (1/16" thick or about 1.5mm) and solid NS bolsters, or brass, like the picture I was shown. Scales? Anything your little heart desires.

Your questions, comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

Re: A "bowie" for Vagabund

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I like it! It reminds me of Fritz The Cat's "Duke" character's switchblade. I have always preferred the "clip point" blade in a carry knife (especially an automatic). The stiletto blade offers limited cutting ability. This is why I prefer the Italian "Fishtail" picklock configuration. (It is also the origin of my nom de plume). These were generally produced with a clip point blade and carried in a belt holster.

That's a very nice blade.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
Tendoncutter

Post by Tendoncutter »

Looks really good. Stag scales also?
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Tendoncutter wrote:Looks really good. Stag scales also?
That's certainly a possibility, it was on Vagabund's original idea.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Tendoncutter

Post by Tendoncutter »

ILikeStilettos wrote:
Tendoncutter wrote:Looks really good. Stag scales also?
That's certainly a possibility, it was on Vagabund's original idea.
That would be mighty sweet!