From Bowie to Switchblade

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

From Bowie to Switchblade

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Duke (knifemaker55) has been building Bowies for years. He actually does about one of these 9" bladed beasts per year. Recently he and his son decided that they both wanted switchblades that emulated the fixed blade Bowie look as closely as possible.

I started by copying the blade shape and then shrinking it from 9" to 6". I had to play with it a bit, particularly narrowing the 'swell' just a tiny bit.

Then I created a handle around the blade. Duke was back and forth on whether it should have guards and/or a pommel, so I created all the possible iterations so he could see them full sized and proportional. This is what I came up with. It worked out to about 13-1/2" long and needed a bird's beak to be able to conceal that upswept point. I've drawn it with a representative flat-topped round button, but I think Duke has some specific variations in mind. I also thought that it needed the security of a traditional picklock style tab and pin, but I made it to operate as a lockback. Because of the mass of the blade, I increased the kicker spring by about 50%. This will be a handful, and it should open with authority and close with effort. We are thinking of a 3/16" blade with a 1/8" pin and 1/16" stainless liners. We will probably build the blade from 440C. The main edge is hollow ground. The false edge is flat ground and will not be fully sharpened.

It closes up decently, but you had best be wearing a belt and suspenders, otherwise it will take your pants down. The guards are in the flatguard style, but could be full thickness or contoured in with the front bolster. Duke will just have to make the decision when he builds.

This is my personal preference, keep the guards, lose the pommel. Duke didn't like the idea at first, but he decided that this was the best approach after he saw all the variations laid out.

It's going to be a real handful.

This one is earless and with a pommel. Duke said he thought that it looked too much like a Buck 110 (a big fat one.)

Really looks like a Buck 110 here.

Without ears or pommel. I don't think this looks much like Duke's fixed blade at all.

It's a bit sleeker to carry, but that doesn't matter if you don't care for the knife in the first place.

As always, your questions, comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
gravknife

Re: From Bowie to Switchblade

Post by gravknife »

Dave

All 3 knives have a good aesthetic look to them.
I can see the eared bolster example with high polished nickle silver and ivory /white micarta scales,it has an almost olde English victorian look to it if it was engraved and the bolsters were high polished .
As for the earless types
They would suit some nice knarly stag scales or dark tightly chequered wood on the last example with no bolster at the rear .
I like the earless model ,its a really pleasing shape and looks like it would be a good user with the Bowie shaped blade.

Nice looking designs ,I love Bowie blades . .

I hope your keeping well my freind .
Have a good Christmas and New Year.

Ian
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

With a D2 steel blade, a picklock version with a Bowie blade would make one hell of a hunting knife! Arrange for an Allen (hex) construction so that the knife can be cleaned of blood, hair, and skin. I would take it over the Schrade Walden "Hunter's Pride" I have been lusting for in less than a heartbeat!

Oh, yeah!

(And keep the quillions. They keep the fingers from sliding up on the blade and slicing your fingers wide open)!
Fishtail Picklock
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Aren't there a couple on eBay Fishtail?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Schrad ... SwEOpaOzXO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHRADE-WALDEN ... SwRgJXiUqP

or are these not it? Quite a difference in the 2 they are calling "Hunters Pride". Price as well.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

JulesVane wrote:Aren't there a couple on eBay, Fishtail?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Schrad ... SwEOpaOzXO

Or are these not it? Quite a difference in the 2 they are calling "Hunters Pride". Price as well.
Hey Chris,

Ok, neither the Hunter's Pride or the fixed blade are acceptable substitutes for Duke's request. He already builds the fixed blade which is a lot more of the "old timer's look" than the Kabar, and much longer. The HP is a four inch blade, while the design is six. Don't get me wrong, I think the HP's are great and the way the guards swing into place is something I have adopted more than once, but it just wasn't appropriate here. If I were a bit sharper with Photoshop, I'd put the images side by side so that you could see just how different these are, but I think you were just suggesting an alternative to Fishy and nobody can fault you for that. This is precisely the kind of informative discussion I am trying to foster on this wonderful forum. Agree, disagree ... doesn't matter. Just don't ignore me like I am wasting your time!
Fishtail Picklock wrote:With a D2 steel blade, a picklock version with a Bowie blade would make one hell of a hunting knife! Arrange for an Allen (hex) construction so that the knife can be cleaned of blood, hair, and skin. I would take it over the Schrade Walden "Hunter's Pride" I have been lusting for in less than a heartbeat! (And keep the quillions. They keep the fingers from sliding up on the blade and slicing your fingers wide open)!
The questions FP posted are intriguing and require a more detailed reply.

Duke and I were involved in a take-down project a few months ago and the research taught us some important lessons. Everything that you suggest is entirely possible but adds at least $100 to the price. First off, Jantz sells all the bits and pieces you would need, but they require a bit of special lathe work and while it's possible, it's not very practical for field disassembly. They offer a little T-handled Torx wrench which would do the job, but then I need to either create a pocket for it in the sheath (what sheath?) or stow it in the handle like the toothpick and tweezers of a Swiss Army knife. Second, you need some type of scale material like textured micarta that cleans up easily, but doesn't stain or get slippery when you are using gloves and/or are up to your elbows in gore. Duke and I are leaning toward exhibition grade stag, in keeping with the frontier look, but this says 'looker', not 'user'. Third, and most significantly, in addition to the major components, you end up with a dozen tiny screws/bushings. This is a job for a bench, good discipline, and good lighting, not something you do in a cold mountain stream. Maybe you take it home dirty, but once you fold and close it, it probably won't fire again until you clean thoroughly and lubricate.

Nevertheless, I do see your point. If you were willing to approach this with the restrictions in mind, the design can be so modified and built.

Here's what I found on Google: "All stainless steels will rust if neglected. ... D2: D2 is a high carbon tool steel. Compared to a steel like 1095 it is not nearly as tough (meaning it is more prone to chipping out or breaking) but it is capable of holding an edge for a long time. D2 is also much more resistant to corrosion than 1095." Gulraiz works in D2, Duke uses 1095 or 440C. 1095 is a 'simple' steel, hence it has a well defined and straightforward hardening and tempering process. 440C is also a known commodity. D2 is a complex alloy steel, and means Duke would have to learn it and experiment. If you think D2 is a necessity, we should talk to Gulraiz.

I not only think we should keep the quillions, but I would make them longer and full thickness (not flatguards). There should be a safety.

I will have to give some thought to pin placement. The scales should come off for cleaning and to get at the rocker for thorough purging of blood and hair. Part of the edge should be serrated. I'd love to include a gut hook, but this is starting to be 'ten pounds in a five pound bag."

Thanks to both of you for the comments, and taking this discussion off in a new and interesting direction.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Dave...Sometimes I have difficulty being able to vision the outcome(s) of some things. This includes many things in life in general. Your designs are awesome, but again, I have a hard time being able to visualize from the lines to the finished product. So, when Fishtail mentioned the HP, I guess I took it as a comparison to your design to better see an example in "3D" that I could more easily understand (vision). If I were a home builder, building by blueprints, someone would end up with a very crooked house. I just don't have the talent to see past the lines. Truly a fault of my many. I searched the HP only to attempt to further understand the possible, comparative, outcome of your design. Please forgive me if I made you feel ignored in any way. On the contrary, it was only to further understand. I only wish I had the ability, as you and many others, to see a design on a flat piece of paper and vision holding the finished product in my hand. I just don't.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Don't feel bad, your not the only one.
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

The only reason that I mentioned the Schrade Walden's Hunter's Pride, is that the folding quillions tend to gum and become clogged with hair, skin, and blood. Some stationary "ears" (quillions) would make the knife more amenable to field use. The idea is an automatic knife that isn't a "wall hanger".

Stilettos are "fun collectibles" but a knife of this nature in deer camp would be outstanding.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

JulesVane wrote:Dave...Sometimes I have difficulty being able to vision the outcome(s) of some things. Please forgive me if I made you feel ignored in any way. On the contrary, it was only to further understand.
Dear Jon (and Sammy),

After many years in the engineering field, I am well acquainted with the issue of not being able to visualize a finished product from a technical specification drawing. Often this came from higher levels of management whose approval and authorization I was seeking. Some of these guys couldn't even see it in a scale model or a 3D generated prototype. If my CAD package were more sophisticated I could do a 3D model and shade it, or create an 'exploded' view, or isometric (like the high oblique view some automobile navigation systems produce.) I'm sure you are blessed in other areas, there's no need to be self-conscious about not being able to see it. There is also no need to apologize, you did not offend me in any way. I ask for comment and criticism because I have no other way of evaluating success or failure in the creative process. More than once, my late friend, Killbucket (Ian), produced something that I could only term as 'hideous'. Bear in mind, he did dozens of things that I absolutely adore. I helped sell one such clunker and the buyer thought it was beautiful. Ian laughed it off, saying, "Yeah, I didn't much care for it either, but it sure produced a strong visceral reaction and that makes it successful art." So that's how I approach it, and I most definitely want to hear, either way ... or just "meh".
Fishtail Picklock wrote:The only reason that I mentioned the Schrade Walden's Hunter's Pride, is that the folding quillions tend to gum and become clogged with hair, skin, and blood. Some stationary "ears" (quillions) would make the knife more amenable to field use. The idea is an automatic knife that isn't a "wall hanger." Stilettos are "fun collectibles" but a knife of this nature in deer camp would be outstanding.
The shape of the HP blade certainly prompts the comparison. On the other forum, a member likened my design to a Kissing Cranes humpback, and this is prompting a different variation on the theme. Your continuing interest is sufficient motivation for me to pursue the design effort in your direction. Watch this space for updates.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Fishtail Picklock

Dave:

This is an excellent project. Good (modern) cutlery steel coupled with an automatic action and the ability to keep it clean would make this a useful knife. These are great ideas because a functioning Camping/Hunting auto with either a Bowie or California Clip blade will sell in rural areas. Hunters, ranchers, fishermen, (small game hunters too) will find this knife on their "to buy" list as there haven't been any knives of this kind in over 100 years.

Bring it on!
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Build a damn knife already...Sick of drawings and prints..lol
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

whippersnapper wrote:Build a damn knife already...Sick of drawings and prints..lol
I only wish that I could get them built as fast and as cheap as I can draw them up. :D

Besides, if I posted pictures of all these, you'd just be jealous anyway. :wink:
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Fishtail Picklock

ILikeStilettos wrote:
whippersnapper wrote:Build a damn knife already...Sick of drawings and prints..lol
I only wish that I could get them built as fast and as cheap as I can draw them up. :D

Besides, if I posted pictures of all these, you'd just be jealous anyway. :wink:
Too late! I really like the idea of a Heavy Duty Bowie-style field automatic. Buck is building their 110 Auto, and I would like to see one with their S30V blade. This is a close as anyone has gotten to building the knife you have proposed. If someone in the Product Development department were to put a pair of quillions of the 110 Auto, along with the high-end steel blade it would be closer yet.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you.
Fishtail Picklock
Tendoncutter

Post by Tendoncutter »

All interesting and smart renditions. Have you considered making it a swingguard? :)
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Tendoncutter wrote:All interesting and smart renditions. Have you considered making it a swingguard? :)
No, that was off the radar for a primitive style knife. However, that being said, it could certainly be designed as a swinger. What sort of guards would you like to see?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690