A classic fulcrum release with modern design cues

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

A classic fulcrum release with modern design cues

Post by ILikeStilettos »

My friend, Lance71, loves vintage and he's particularly partial to fulcrum releases. I wanted to try a design and give him a little surprise, so here's what I came up with.

In the lower part of the view I show the mechanism in the released position. If you let go, it should return to home because of the tension of the spine spring. I made it 12" long, bigger than an 11", but not so giant as my typical 13's. The false edge is extended past where it normally stops, but not yet a full dagger.

The fulcrum mechanism stows low in the knife, so you don't see much of what is going on until you open it. Note the notch shape in the bottom view, one part for the lockup, one part for the fulcrum to press against. I rarely include safeties and pommels, but these are things Lance likes.

Here's a cutaway to show what's going on. Notice the liners have to be notched, but the bolsters are full. I've also been adding a small, ball end to the kicker. This helps keep the kick spring off the sharpened edge.

As always, your questions, comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

Re: A classic fulcrum release with modern design cues

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I like it! I have never owned a "fulcrum" release knife. It looks great! I would like something along those lines with a 1095 Cro-Van flat-ground blade.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Re: A classic fulcrum release with modern design cues

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:I like it! I have never owned a "fulcrum" release knife. It looks great! I would like something along those lines with a 1095 Cro-Van flat-ground blade.
1095 Cro-Van is a marketing name for 50100B. It lies between 1095 and O1. Standard 95% carbon steel plus chromium, vanadium and molybdenum makes Cro-Van.If you put more of that stuff in you get O1 tool steel. Many makers, including DoubleD use 1095 because it is a simple steel, easy to annealing, harden and temper. Alloy steels take more time and a more complex process. All of these will corrode. 440C is the common cutlery stainless steel, so you avoid corrosion and the heat treating is a known.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."