Tarzan 13" Swingguard

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Tarzan 13" Swingguard

Post by ILikeStilettos »

It all started when I posted this recent acquisition from AKC.

This inspired friend, JulesVane, to request I design him a 7" swinger for JimBrown257 to build. That didn't work out, but meanwhile I wanted a 13" for myself. I've been calling this one "Tarzan" because ... wait for it ... it's a big swinger (da dum dum).

I've always admired this Gothic creation from Paul Panak and wanted to imitate it as well.

It went through a couple of iterations before I finalized on this one. I have always admired the slender wickedness of the vintage Italians, but swingers have been a limited commodity. I do have a Jerry Sizemore 13-incher, but he has since departed into the mists, and all of my big Campolins are heavy weights. I wanted a rapier, not a broadsword. This one is sleek and bottomless, and the perfect opportunity to round everything nicely. I show it with an arbitrary round button, but knifemaker55 (Duke Charlesworth) and I will come up with something more interesting when the project gets closer to completion. When I translated Panak's guard design into somewhat more generous proportions, it looks like this. It aslo features a second pin through the guards to lock them together and not allow them to scissor. Additionally they fit nicely around the bolster like the old Hunter's Pride. I also realized that while I could snug it tight against the scales in the closed position, this prevented the blade from over-traveling when you close it, and that was something I deliberately wanted it to do.

I've kept the traditional lockback mechanism that you typically see on swingers. At one point, it was a humpback, but with a fast acting lockup, that didn't seem safe to me.

As always, your comments, questions and criticisms are greatly appreciated.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Viking45

Re: Tarzan 13" Swingguard

Post by Viking45 »

Dave you know I have been in the tree biz for about 30 years and I am the 225 lb idiot in the tree top, hanging from a rope, chainsaw in hand yelling and beating my chest so I thought I would chime in on this post since I have not been very active here lately.

That is a sweet knife my friend, I truly hope it materializes for you.
I have a vivid imagination and am able to somewhat visualize the finished product
Nice job on the design.

You and I have spoke a few times and you know I am simple man with simple desires in knives and a 13" Campolin gothic swinger would be my "Holy Grail" as I have only two swingers in my entire collection, both being small knives.
I'd be thrilled with an 11" Frank.

Good luck on that design and keep us updated on the progress