JulesVane Request

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

JulesVane Request

Post by ILikeStilettos »

JulesVane wrote:Dave...'ya know, I've been wanting a small swinguard. Maybe a 7"(?). I've had my thoughts on a 7" Rizzy but, was wondering what your thoughts are on designing something along those lines? If you're into it, please feel free to PM anytime. I know it's a small item, but may be big cool. Maybe Jeremy would be into the build(?). Really not often do I see the small swingers. Just a thought.
OK, your wish is my command. It's not fully detailed yet, as I wanted some input from you first. Knowing Jeremy he can and probably will build this just from what I am presenting here. However, if he is a little patient, perhaps I can incorporate some other features and send him accurate templates. This one was tricky to work out in the diminuative size. I targeted a waspy bottomless swinger and made it exactly 7" overall. I was shooting for slender and wicked because I have always felt that the AKC 9's were too blunt and blocky. I wasn't completely successful, as this would have to be impossibly narrow. I think it's better, not sure if it is good enough.

I've drawn this as a dagger, but it can be easily modified into a bayonet, half-grind, or swedge. Note that the swinguards are double pinned so that they move as a unit and won't 'scissor' to each other. Right now the 3-1/16" blade is just 1/2" wide, and measures 1-3/16" at the guards. It's a very sleek little knife which only requires depressing the lockback about 1/16" to release, although the actual lock is a substantial 1/8" wide by 3/32" deep. I have faked in a 1/4" round button and no safety - this is pretty much up to whatever you and Jeremy can work out. It could have a pommel if you are not a fan of bottomless. I drew it with a substantial spring, so it ought to jump right out of your hand.

I'm very pleased with how the closed view came out; it's a very sleek little knife. The guards neatly cover the lock notch when the blade is stowed and there is plenty of room to preclude peaking. I'd go with a 3 mm blade to match the thickness to the size, but virtually any thickness would work. It uses a one piece kick spring. The guards are patterned after the old "Hunter's Pride" Americans and follow the contour of the rounded bolster rather than being squared off like most moderns. Now that I have the geometry worked out, I can reshape the guards pretty much at will, but this is as long as possible right now without making the knife fatter.

One of these days I'm going to have to do a 13" version of this for myself.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
ljerr2

Re: JulesVane Request

Post by ljerr2 »

Very, very cool. I hope this knife comes to fruition and we all get to see the pics of the final product posted on the forum!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Dave...It sounds amazing! My heart is pumping away! Only 2 things I can think of (and, my Dad always told me "not to think, because I wasn't use to it"), is a bayo blade & bottom bolster. So...what's the next step Dave? You're amazing at designing! If there's anything you guys need or I can do, don't hesitate let me know. I'm excited as can be!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

JulesVane wrote:Dave...It sounds amazing! My heart is pumping away! Only 2 things I can think of (and, my Dad always told me "not to think, because I wasn't use to it"), is a bayo blade & bottom bolster. So...what's the next step Dave? You're amazing at designing! If there's anything you guys need or I can do, don't hesitate let me know. I'm excited as can be!
Well, I can update and show you proofs. Then I will finish the details and send templates to Jeremy. You will need to reach out to him and finalize negotiations, I have no dog in that fight.

Do show us some pictures when he gets it done.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

ILikeStilettos wrote:
Do show us some pictures when he gets it done.
Thank you SO very much Dave! I will contact Jeremy after the weekend. I believe we were going to chat then anyway on another "subject". I promise to share all...

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

JulesVane wrote:Only 2 things I can think of (and, my Dad always told me "not to think, because I wasn't used to it"), is a bayo blade & bottom bolster.
OK, JulesVane. Here 'tis. I completed the detailing and templates and will send them direct to Jeremy. It's a good thing that he is comfortable with building tiny switches, as the parts are incredibly small. This design is very popular on my Facebook group, and I'd guess Jeremy could sell more than yours if he wanted to.

Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Beautiful Dave! Outstanding! I knew it would be a rather small item to "deal with", but the design looks great. Hopefully, Jeremy will be interested and take on the project. Thanks Dave! Will keep you posted with any advancements.