Seal Recon Sub-Hilt Fighter

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Seal Recon Sub-Hilt Fighter

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Well, since I haven't yet been hung in effigy, here's another design.

First let's talk about the inspiration. I found this image on the web somewhere and liked the look, so that was the start of the process. All I had to do was convert it to an automatic - simple, huh?

I have seen knives like this before, particularly the "Black Bear Classic" and this made me think that it needed to be a sub-hilt. Then I found this beauty. Not only did it have a great sub-hilt, but it was also elegantly engraved - so let's just take the top bolster.

Looking back at the first photograph, it's obvious that the blade is longer than the handle, so I thought about another knife I own. (Here's the full topic: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24516)

This 'Marbles' type extension allows the blade to stick out of the bottom of the handle, and then folds up inside when the knife is fired. You have to unfold it to close. I would have never attempted to do something like this if I hadn't seen it function in person, so I know that it's possible, even if it is exceedingly difficult. I have projects with Duke, Jeremy and Gulraiz right now, and each guy has his own particular set of talents (this is not to exclude Bill, Pat, George, Paul, Joel, Chad, Kaleb, Tank or anyone else I've forgotten to mention - but I know what each guy's forté and preference is.) This is definitely a Gulraiz job and I have sent it to him. Whether it will ever be realized is very iffy at the moment. However, if someone wants one, please feel free to commission it before I do!

So without further ado, here's what I came up with. It measures out to 11.86" open by 2-1/16" across the guards and .72" thick (assuming a 5/32" - 4 mm blade and 3/16" thick scales). The blade is 6-1/4" (think 13-1/2" overall on a stiletto) but the handle is only 5-1/2". Folded up it should come out to about 7-1/4".

I've tried to capture the essence of the big fixed blade in a wicked automatic. It's a humpback, but the action should be pretty fast, so it doesn't need much of a hump.

So that's the plan, Stan. As always, your comments, questions, and criticisms are much appreciated.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Seal Recon Sub-Hilt Fighter

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Love that auto pattern! Let's see your version!
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Re: Seal Recon Sub-Hilt Fighter

Post by gravknife »

Dave

I really love the shape of the blade ,and the grip shape of the top knife which tapers to the back and you have worked both well into your design.

That would be one wicked looking switchblade 8)
I would have the blade carbon and fire blued ,high polished engraved brass guard with white bone and blued pinned scales,brass engraved blade extension .

I hope it comes off if you decide to have it made .....the extension that retains the blade looks very tricky to make but its just so cool a gadget ,its well worth the trouble.

If you have it made by Gulraz please post it here ,I love these unusual knives .

All the best mate

Ian