First Knife Rework Completed

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jeffinn

First Knife Rework Completed

Post by Jeffinn »

So I purchased three automatic knives that needed work. Two needed to have new scales made and one will need a new spring. So I took apart the first knife that needed new scales and decided to use zebrawood for the scales. I made them twice, both times they broke during use so I decided against using that wood again:
So i moved on to canary wood. This was more successful. Its harder and the grain structure is more solid. This is a lighter wood with a solid grain structure:
It took me a few days to get the channel cut correctly for the button mechanism but its now working fine. The knife looks like this:
This was definitely a learning lesson. I'm already looking at new and different ways to cut the channel for the button scale. And I'm looking at new and exotic woods to use. I tried using some composite material and although the material cut and machined really well, I wasn't skilled enough to figure out how to finish it correctly.
There's alot of small issue with the completed knife but its good enough for my first effort. Its going on my shelf as a learning tool. I didn't get around to installing the safety on this first effort but since I'm not planning on carrying it, it should be just fine.
Got some new tools coming and some new projects as well. Looking forward to the next project!
Jeff
whippersnapper

Re: First Knife Rework Completed

Post by whippersnapper »

Looks good!
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

that look's 10x better then my first try,very nice job.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks fine to me, your on your way.
2024 candidate for president
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Good job, can't wait to see the next one :!: 8)
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Looks pretty good.

When I do a front scale, I first make the length exact. Then I drill a small hole (like 2mm) where the button is and carve out the area for the button mechanics. Then for the hole, I use a dremel sanding cone to expand the small hole until it is the right size and right spot of the hole (basically sand a little, check it, sand a little, check it...). Then put the scale on the liner and drill the pin holes. I've found this is the easiest way to get the hole right.

As for the sides of the scales, the best way to do that is to pin the material to the liner and then sand the edges to conform perfectly to the scale. It looks like you tried to finish the scale before doing the pin holes.

Check this stuff out. Each piece is enough for a set of scales on up to an 11" and they are all pretty stable:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Different-E ... 2749.l2649

Also, I am personally not crazy about the tapered scale ends.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DonC

Post by DonC »

Looks a lot better than my first attempt.
DonC
Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Bravo!! Nice. I sort of like it without the safety. I have had knives made that I actually requested that there be no safety.
I think that is a great job...and for a first attempt!
Can't wait to see further attempts!!
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
John_1979

Post by John_1979 »

Good job! It' better than my first try. Looking foward to next your mora knife!