20 cm / 8" Transitional

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
john

20 cm / 8" Transitional

Post by john »

Hello Everyone,
Here's a transitional stiletto made in the early 60s. After the 1958 Stiletto Ban and just before the stiletto technology caught up with modern times the transitional stiletto was made by using old parts pre 1958, modern technology and modern parts. The Picklock disappeared until Frank Beltrame made the first one in 2001 for The Switchblade Forum.
There have been a lot of discussions about the criteria that is needed to meet the term transition. Most collectors would agree that most if not all of the following criteria must be met in order to be a true transitional knife.
Stainless steel swedged blade and on occasion a flat grind and bayonet blade
Nickel silver bolsters, button and safety
Two piece spring
Brass lined frontside swivel bolster
Backside, brass liner fully lined S guard
Natural (cow or other horn) scales
Old style safety
"D" stamped front brass liner
Old style button assembly
Basically the only modern feature on this knife is the swivel bolster.
Thank you for taking a look,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

Re: 20 cm / 8" Transitional

Post by sammy the blade »

Do you know what the tsf stamp stands for?
2024 candidate for president
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

"The Switchblade Forum."
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

John
I really love that picklock " switchblade forum " knife by Mr Beltrame ,its just a pleasing mix of materials ,all of high quality.
Lovely blade in damascus and the scales are nicely shaped and look almost like ivory ...is that just well chosen horn ?
And presented in a nice display box ....Lovely knife!
I love the little transitionals like the one you posted aswell ....great well built little knives .
Thanks for sharing and I hope you are keeping well my freind.

All the best

Ian
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Beautiful pieces John! Thank you also for the history of transitional. So, after 2001, when Frank B re-introduced the picklock, did he make MANY of them? The only ones that come to my tired mind, are those made in limited edition. I just posted my only Frank B Picklock on another thread inquiring of the time period of production. Thanks all...I love learning about this hobby!
*EDIT*...Just got my info on mine from Bill (thank you Sir). I gather mine was produced between 2001 and 2006 (when I bought It).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Frank still makes picklocks, both for himself and Latama.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I remember those tsf forum knives. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't these the first to move toward making stilettos the way they were in the past; picklock, ns bolsters etc.?

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes, Jim-they were.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

JulesVane wrote:...I just posted my only Frank B Picklock on another thread inquiring of the time period of production. Thanks all...I love learning about this hobby!
*EDIT*...Just got my info on mine from Bill (thank you Sir). I gather mine was produced between 2001 and 2006 (when I bought It).
Yours was produced after the Walt's Flat Guard run, so it was late 2004 or into 2005 at the earliest.
lance

Post by lance »

jim d, wrote:I remember those tsf forum knives. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't these the first to move toward making stilettos the way they were in the past; picklock, ns bolsters etc.?

Jim
I read about these!!! This was supposed to be the first run of old style picklocks by frank in like 30yrs or something!! Really cool ol knives!! The T.S.F. stamp is sweet.loving those blond scales too!!! Thanks for sharing
Thats really something john WOWSA!