How to Post Pictures

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mick17

How to Post Pictures

Post by mick17 »

Given the recent changes with Photobucket I thought I'd make a quick how-to for posting pictures. It's such a shame that many of the great pictures posted here and on the SD forum are gone forever.

In my experience the easiest site to use is http://imgur.com/. This site has been around for awhile now and is kind of the standard for hosting pictures.

Directions:

1. Create an account.

2. Once logged in, put the cursor over your username in the upper right hand corner. A drop-down menu will appear under your username. Select "images".

3. Click the green button on the right that says "add images".

4. Select "browse" in the window that appears. Find the image you want to use on your computer and click "open".

5. You should now see the image loaded onto your imgur page. Click on the image.

6. You'll see options for various links in a column on the right. Find the one near the bottom that says "BBcode (message boards and forums)". Click "copy"

7. In a different window, go to your post you're writing on the Talkblade forum. Click "paste" in your post where you'd like your picture to appear. You should see the imgur link pasted.

8. Click "preview" to make sure the picture has been loaded correctly. You should see your picture appear in the body of your post.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if anything should be added, taken away, or rephrased for ease of use.
JulesVane

Re: How to Post Pictures

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Pat...You're right. It's a shame to look back on older posts (even my own), to see all the images have been removed by PhotoBucket. I'm sure a lot of members will find this post very helpful. I'm going to give imgur a try myself. Thanks again!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

imgur test:

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

Hi Pat,
I'm going to check Imgur right now!
Thanks for sharing,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Pic. Looks good!
2024 candidate for president
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

A while back on another thread I mentioned a hotlink fix for Chrome. It worked for me, mostly, but is not perfect. Moreover, it ONLY works on Chrome and it ONLY works on your machine. So after installing it you may get your pictures back, but unless other viewers also use Chrome with this add on installed, they will still not see your pictures. It also doesn't always work on all pictures. Anyway, if you want to try it, it might be a helpful tool in relinking your pictures to a new service as you can see the actual picture involved, not just the link. It is available from the Google Chrome webstore:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iews?hl=en
mick17

Post by mick17 »

natcherly wrote:A while back on another thread I mentioned a hotlink fix for Chrome. It worked for me, mostly, but is not perfect. Moreover, it ONLY works on Chrome and it ONLY works on your machine. So after installing it you may get your pictures back, but unless other viewers also use Chrome with this add on installed, they will still not see your pictures. It also doesn't always work on all pictures. Anyway, if you want to try it, it might be a helpful tool in relinking your pictures to a new service as you can see the actual picture involved, not just the link. It is available from the Google Chrome webstore:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... iews?hl=en
Thank you for this! It works great for me.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Test: 1st image using imgur website...
Test: 2nd using PhotoBucket w/ Mr. Natcherly's new Chrome fix...

Both sites using identical image are very same in quality. Thanks Pat for introducing imgur to those (like me), that weren't aware of it. Thanks Mr. Natcherly for sharing the fix for posting from PhotoBucket with the Chrome extension. It appears that it did fix some of the past photos that were removed. At least we now know of multiple options for sharing pieces from this great hobby.
*UPDATE 8/23* As Mr. Natcherly stated, the Chrome extension only works on 1 (your) machine. I posted the 2 above pics on my laptop using Chrome and they both posted fine. This morning, I logged into TB on our bedroom Mac computer and the PhotoBucket image is no longer visible on the Mac. Don't really have time before work to check the laptop again. This is interesting. Can anyone else see the PhotoBucket image? I'm sure not everyone uses Chrome...
*UPDATE #2*..Just home from work checking my laptop and the PhotoBucket image is gone. Even with the Chrome extension. I'll be darned!

john

Post by john »

I cannot see the Photobucket image. I for some reason I am having a problem with Imgur on my phone. Perhaps it works better on a desktop or laptop. I have to give it a try.in the meantime I did find another hosting site vgy.me. Check it out.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
tophatjohnny

Post by tophatjohnny »

Seeing if it works

Wow, works well. Thank you.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I'm not seeing any pics. Tophatjohnny only says image with a symbol of a page turning.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

sammy the blade wrote:I'm not seeing any pics. Tophatjohnny only says image with a symbol of a page turning.
I can see Johnny's pic and geez, my PhotoBucket picture is back! Wow, strange. Johnny...beautiful piece 'ya got there! Tell us about it...

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Why not just post them directly here with the image attachment feature?
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

FullSizeRender (10).jpg
FullSizeRender (10).jpg (73.45 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
Bill...I can't believe it! I've read the "rules" on posting pictures on this site when I first joined and tried. I could of sworn they said the pictures could not come from your personal PC or smart-phone, but had to be from a public image sharing site, which was PhotoBucket for me. All this fuss over how I can post pictures, and I could just do it this way all along?? Holy cow! Well...thanks again Bill!

thom

Post by thom »

Bill, Where is the attach image feature? Been trying to post an image for some time. No luck. See below quote. HOW????

Why not just post them directly here with the image attachment feature?