Collectible Interest?

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Collectible Interest?

Post by JulesVane »

Hi All...I have not bought this knife. Not exactly my "style". I was just wondering if it had any collectible interest or a $20 garbage piece. I'm told it "works beautifully"....

ImageIMG_5694 by Christopher Brady, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5695 by Christopher Brady, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5696 by Christopher Brady, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5697 by Christopher Brady, on Flickr
ImageIMG_5698 by Christopher Brady, on Flickr

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Collectible Interest?

Post by natcherly »

I'd say these have considerable interest. So much so that the Campolines are making them again.
New Campoline Boar Hunters Knife
New Campoline Boar Hunters Knife
wild_boar_knife.jpg (243.78 KiB) Viewed 3715 times
The one you picture is older with brass guard and bolsters. The only question is where it was made. Appears rather crude almost like it was made in India or Pakistan.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Mr. Natcherly...As I don't actually possess the piece, I can't really provide any further details. I have inquired with the seller about the tang stamp, but he doesn't (or hasn't) shown a lot of interest providing me that simple request. You're correct that it looks VERY crude construction indeed. Darn near lop-sided to be honest. I'm leaning toward not pursuing the purchase.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The knife is a Pakistani copy of a German folding bowie.
These copies are crudely made of inferior materials.
Oh- and they aren't automatic.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote:The knife is a Pakistani copy of a German folding bowie.
These copies are crudely made of inferior materials.
Oh- and they aren't automatic.
Thank you Bill..I was certainly hoping to hear from you! Wow, not even automatic? That's some form of false lever there? I was wondering how it could possibly work with the "lever" butted up against the scale like that. Gee, I wonder what the potential seller meant when he wrote that "it works beautifully" lol. Thanks Bill, that puts that thought to rest.

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Most knives of this type use the lever to lock closed or open. The lever is depressed in the picture.
There are very few automatic folding bowies-except on a certain web site that's full of converted ones, and other fake knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Marbles ( now owned by Frost or SMKW) has some nicer China made ones...As Bill said none are autos
https://www.amazon.com/Marbles-Folding- ... B0000V2ROQ
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005I587AM/?tag=network20-20
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Tom...Since I had no idea what it actually was, I had no idea where to look. You guys are a wealth of information.

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I think that is the ~10" Japanese one. There is a pretty common 15" Pakistani one that is a real piece of junk. That one in the pics could be a Pakistani one but the few I've seen in that size with that shape of handle and bolsters said Japan on the tang. The Japanese one isn't all that great but it was much better than the Pakistani one. It's really easy to install a spring in that one and make it an auto. You can even do it without taking it apart if you just drill a hole through the handle to anchor the spring.
Warrior40

Post by Warrior40 »

How much are they selling it for?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Warrior40 wrote:How much are they selling it for?
I saw it on the Letgo App. A guy in Jersey City NJ is asking $40 OBO. I've asked him 3 times what was stamped on the tang. Won't say. But the guys here have provided all the info. I needed.

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Here is one I had. You can kind of see the Japan stamp at the top of the tang. I think that is what the stamp is on the one you are looking at. I don't think I would pay $40 on it but it is kind of a cool knife one you put a spring in it.
Attachments
Pigsticker.JPG
Pigsticker.JPG (168.53 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Jeremy...Anything YOU make is cool!

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Warrior40

Post by Warrior40 »

JulesVane wrote:
Warrior40 wrote:How much are they selling it for?
I saw it on the Letgo App. A guy in Jersey City NJ is asking $40 OBO. I've asked him 3 times what was stamped on the tang. Won't say. But the guys here have provided all the info. I needed.
Wow! $40 for a fake. That's too much.