Help .J&J Morton 39 Cheapside butchers knife.

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
cheapside39

Help .J&J Morton 39 Cheapside butchers knife.

Post by cheapside39 »

Hi, i recently bought this knife from flee market in Austria . I have cleaned it up and it is a beauty blade is flexible and the hoorn handle fits perfectly when you are left handed. On the blade i can see markings J&J Morton 39 Cheapside. I cant find much information about J&J Morton online
and have only vague idea that they where butchers and blade makers? If anyone has some info about the blade and the value of it pleas ebe kind to share with me.

Jorgen.

gravknife

Re: Help .J&J Morton 39 Cheapside butchers knife.

Post by gravknife »

Welcome cheapside39

All i can find about these makers is they were called George and Joseph Morton and that they had a blade shop in London with the address 39 cheapside.

They seemed to be involved with a few inventions as stated on the picture i found..
The knife you have looks part of a meat carving set which would have had a fork with it,with a matching stag handle.

I dont know how much these are going for now but take a look on ebay and you may find some idea of prices.

I hope this helps a bit.
gravknife
Attachments
g & j Morton cheapside london death.JPG
g & j Morton cheapside london death.JPG (89.88 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
g & j morton cutlers cheapside.JPG
g & j morton cutlers cheapside.JPG (42.79 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
Last edited by gravknife on Tue May 30, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Heres a razor marked with their name and an old horsemans knife .
Same marks as your blade.
The knife looks Victorian and it says on the obituary George Morton died in 1878 .
Attachments
SAM_0329.JPG
SAM_0329.JPG (110.16 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
P1080880.JPG
P1080880.JPG (75.97 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
g-and-j-morton-39-cheapside1.jpg
g-and-j-morton-39-cheapside1.jpg (56.29 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

One thing you can do if you don't want to sell the knife but want to get some idea of what it might be worth is to put it up for auction on Ebay with a $1 starting bid but a hidden reserve that will never be reached (like $5000). Of course, that might not be the most accurate assessment as it's kind of random how many serious bidders might happen to see it and the hidden reserve is said to often discourage a lot of bidders who might have been interested otherwise. But it wouldn't cost you anything to try it so it might be worth a shot.
straightrazor

Post by straightrazor »

Far as I can tell, J. Morton first showed up at 343 Oxford St., with razors marked J. Morton, Late Macdaniel, 343 oxford st. Macdaniel died in 1855 and was a cutlery maker. J. Morton also showed up at 223 Oxford St, before showing up at 39 Cheapside. Then G&J started showing at 39 Cheapside. Seems G is for George and assumed to be son of Joseph. Even later J Morton & Co was seen on a few razors that appear to be early 1900's. Have seen an early set of sharp edged table knives with Walrus handles. Many of the early razors had ivory scales.