German Gravity Knife

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: German Gravity Knife

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Eickhorn (not Carl Eickhorn) made a shortened version of the 3rd model that was sold commercially. It takes down like the 3rd model.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
gravknife

Re: German Gravity Knife

Post by gravknife »

Bill great info
I have the eickhorn model somewhere with beer bottle opener bolster .
When i find it i will post it if interested
It nearly took my fingers off taking it apart once .when it felt jammed ....i had 6 stitches ,its frighteningly sharp.
Its not a patch on the fine build quality gravity knives of ww2 ,but still a great piece of military swag.

Along with the Prestos these are the coolest of all the war issue smaller knives imho .
The British stole the luftwaffe design obviously for the ibberson example i posted and they issued it to spies and special ops(SOE) .Its a great quick to hand combat weapon and i was told (dont quote me though:) that the marlin spike was used to open up the cartoid artery on the enemy,instead of its usual knot disentanglement ,or knot constuction role,and to disable vehicle tyres,for escape and evasion.

BruceS
That is a fine takedown model you posted with the RB unit marking ,these were used as you say by army and airforce ,and are usually in pretty bad shape when they were issued pieces .I have seen all types of blade shapes and bad sharpening jobs on these knives over the years,my non takedown example being no exception but it at least retains crossgrain and the weyersberg is nice and clear.

I love the blueing on them ,they look more a military piece than the earlier non takedowns,i would absolutely love a takedown example but cant afford one .
If you ever let them go i would appreciate the chance of purchasing

Hope your all well
Regards
Ian