Prioletta Retrospective

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Re: Prioletta Retrospective

Post by ILikeStilettos »

sammy the blade wrote:They don't look menacing to me, more like a piece of rare art. Looking at the barrel of a 44 from the business end, that's menacing!!!
I've seen a couple .45's with the muzzle engraved, "Smile - Wait for Flash".
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
DonC

Post by DonC »

I'm with Sammy. I view my collection more as "art" than anything else. When you consider materials, workmanship and design incorporation into the finished product you enter another aspect of the genre.
DonC
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Sam and Don:

I had a friend who was curating the OSU Museum of Art and I approached her about doing an exhibit, but this was a volunteer position and they replaced her before it ever happened. I, too, consider these knives as functional art. They have great beauty for at least some portion of the population and I think that is worth publicizing and celebrating. What's the old saw about "inspiring an emotional reaction?" That's a pretty good definition of art and our obsession.

I always claimed and felt that I had no artistic calling, I can't even make a reasonable free hand sketch that anyone but me would understand. As a photographer, I would take many, many shots and once in a great while I would get an artistically acceptable one. However this was more the law of averages at play than anything else. Technical proficiency does not equate to artistic aesthetic. I am now finding that when I do CAD designs, I can consider opportunities and imperative solutions that result in cool knives. Once created, they are beautiful to me, and to others. In all modesty, I seem to have some talent that goes beyond technical proficiency. No one is more surprised by this manifestation than I.

If you see a fat man in overalls bent over the computer, please feel free to offer suggestions. He has no fuckin' idea what he is doing.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
omega

Post by omega »

ILikeStilettos wrote:
.........I had a friend who was curating the OSU Museum of Art.............
Dave, I didn't know they had "Art" in Oklahoma. I am aware that Oklahoma is the source of merchandise sold at Spencer's Gifts like Fake Poo, Bacon-Flavored Toilet Paper and other sundries, often sold to tourists along the interstate highway.

"Art" is truly in the eye of the beholder.

:D