Pascotto Primo

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Pascotto Primo

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I have seen these knives referred to by other people who should know as "La Vespa's". To me, they are simply 28 cm inch 5 mm flatguard picklocks, the little brothers to the 33's also known as Walt's Latamas. That's just terminology and I'm not trying to start any fights. These are terrific knives and they work flawlessly. There are also 25 cm'ers, in a number of blade shapes and they are equally cool. The solid nickel-silver bolsters (or hollow, danged if I know) give them a nice heft and solid feel. There's 150 with AGA Campolin stamps and a few other with Renzo Pascotto stamps, which is the two here. I expect to hear from Don C, John and Natcherly whom I know also bought knives from this batch. I'm surprised I haven't already seen their posts, but at least two of them have some things going on that are delaying them, and the other guy is probably just chillin'. Surprise, surprise, I'm not the worst procrastinator!

First up is this absolutely stunning one in ram, but not the rough stuff, this has been smoothed just enough to get rid of the big ripples and show the incredible colors. This is not the first time I've been lucky enough to acquire one of these masterpieces, and even among RP's work this is a scarcity. I now have the pair, brothers definitely, but not so close that you would mistake them for identical twins. Here's the other: http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23582

I'm actually not that big a fan of ram scales, but rather an aficionado of great Brazilian. However, when that rare piece of horn comes along and is worked by a Master Cutler with just the right technique, it can be stunningly beautiful. It's not as smooth and glassy as bovine, but it definitely gets my heart to pumping.

Don't you just love that thick hunk of meat in your sandwich? The same thing goes for this blade in the well.

Tiny scars, scratches, layers marked with color changes; you just can't improve upon nature.

Any artist who does work like this deserves to sign it.

Now speaking of Brazilian ...

I think this is the prettiest Brazilian front scale in my collection. It just blows me away. The crazy thing is this was my second choice, Natcherly spoke up sooner and got a killer set that makes even this pale in the comparison. Lucio sure finds some great stuff, and Renzo knows just what to do with it.

The back side has that great translucent green stuff that is so highly prized.

Well, those are my two. Let's hear from the other lucky dogs real soon. Luv'ya, guys.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Pascotto Primo

Post by natcherly »

Here is the one I got, nestled between a 10" little brother and a 13" Big Brother. I tried to get decent pictures of the backs but my light source (the sun) flared up. Maybe later, but today I rest, or do less stuff.

These are all Renzo Pascotto and share many similarities, such as significant heft for the size, wonderful horn thanks to Lucio, and overall marvelous workmanship by Renzo P. The bolsters are solid nickel silver.
Attachments
20170226_144054_resized.jpg
20170226_144054_resized.jpg (791.46 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Love the color in the scales!
David76

Post by David76 »

Beautiful knives.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Thanks, David76.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I recently bought a set of these also a 10" and 11"n 13" wasp body and i'm very happy with the quality of these knives mine are all aga Campolin. So do I understand correctly their all made in the same place?
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Same place, same person.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

SteveM wrote:I recently bought a set of these also a 10" and 11"n 13" wasp body and i'm very happy with the quality of these knives mine are all aga Campolin. So do I understand correctly their all made in the same place?
Yes same place same person same time. when AGA and Renzo Pascotto make knives together they always make few more and most are stamped with AGA stamp, Renzo picks a few blades out and puts his stamp on them so few have his personal stamp so they are all from same run but with different stamps thats all , all are of same quality yes. hope this helps :)
Bernie-- (FOLGORE KNIVES USA)
mick17

Post by mick17 »

I'm told only 4 of these were stamped with the Renzo stamp. Who has the other 2? Would love to see pics of those as well.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

mick17 wrote:I'm told only 4 of these were stamped with the Renzo stamp. Who has the other 2? Would love to see pics of those as well.
More than 4, like 8-10 if I recall, and I know where 6 are.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

mick17

Post by mick17 »

ILikeStilettos wrote:
mick17 wrote:I'm told only 4 of these were stamped with the Renzo stamp. Who has the other 2? Would love to see pics of those as well.
More than 4, like 8-10 if I recall, and I know where 6 are.
Nice! Yours is stunning for sure ILS as is yours natcherly
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I see in the pic natcherly posted the 13" has the walts stamp
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

SteveM wrote:I see in the pic natcherly posted the 13" has the walts stamp
Yes, as I said earlier, RP makes those. I have a Walt's prototype with that stamp and "Renzo Pascotto" on the back. Note, RP marks prototypes, Renzo Pascotto. Production pieces with the anvil logo read Pascotto Renzo, which is the more traditional old school way.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

john

Post by john »

Hi Everyone,
Ten we're made with Renzo Pascotto's stamp. Those 10 knives were made by hand. Roughly 80% by hand and 20% by machine. The AGA production models were made by the same person but they were roughly 20% by hand and 80% by machine. I have two. The first photo is of the 28 cm knife with tortoise scales mounted on ebony wood. The other is Sambar stag. The other four are, if they have not been sold, are in Italy.
Sometimes the AGA and the Pascotto knives are part of the same production run and from that run a few may have Renzo's name on them. It would be the same stamp that he uses on his handmade knives. At times Renzo will make several by hand with his stamp these 10 were made by hand.
La Vespa is a brand of its own. I believe they may have been the first to produce the wasp bodied knife.
John
IMG_5313.JPG
IMG_5313.JPG (955.87 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG (930.36 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
john

Post by john »

Dave and David,