Damascus with a twist

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Damascus with a twist

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I've been on a sort of self-imposed hiatus away from posting my normal reviews until I got the taxes ready to go to the accountant. So now I am back on track and have lots of things to show.

First up, I have been finding lots of really cool stuff on Facebook and making some interesting connections. If you admire some builder's knife, you typically get a PM asking if you are interested in buying it. Typically, I'm not, I'm just complimenting interesting and well crafted work. One of the guys who approached me wasn't intimidated a bit when I told him I was into switchblades and said he could build me one in record time AND ship it from Pakistan to Oklahoma in 5 or 6 days. I didn't believe a word of that, but I decided to "give him enough rope". Today I can report that he did everything he said he would and has become a friend in the process. I sent a design that I was working on for Lance71. This is one I still haven't quite worked out, and while Gulraiz deviated a bit; he still built me a stunning knife and came a lot closer than I have to the ideal. Also, he shipped on a Monday and it arrived on Thursday of the same week - that was astounding all in of itself.

As you can see, he built me a 13" Twist Damascus lockback stiletto with camel bone scales. Both the blade and bolsters are Damascus. It weighs a hefty 14 oz. (393 g.) and measures 13-3/8" (34 cm) from stem to stern. The blade is exactly 6" (152 mm) long and 3/4" (19 mm) at the ricasso. It's about 13/16" (206 mm) thick at the widest part of the handle (not counting the button) and 1-15/16" (492 mm) tip to tip on the ears. The blade is .158" thick (4mm) and the liners are about .075" (probably 2 mm).

I really love the camel he used on the back side, those tiny black specks seem to make all the difference in the world. Duke is of the opinion that everything is pinned together and not soldered. I'm not sure. I can say there are hidden pins used on the top bolster and pommel and the Damascus parts are absolutely tight to the brass liner. I'm guessing Gulraiz is a kind of "belt and suspenders" guy, and I am the same way. His pin alignment is flawless. Gulraiz is a mere 27 years old, but comes from a long line of cutlers and he does amazing work. I can say without reservation that I have two more knives coming from him, and this is the simplest and least ornamented of the three.

I apologize for the hair that wandered into my shot of the front of the blade and being lazy and not retaking it. I've heard people disparage Pakistani Damascus, but this seems top drawer to me.

This is the back of the blade, and it's super as well.

I don't recall asking for any particular filework. What I have learned is that Gulraiz has a great eye for what works, and his execution is flawless.

Front view, closed. I didn't take a shot of the blade well, but I can tell you that the third pin by the button is doing I am not sure exactly what. The tension spring for the lockback is one piece with the pommel spacer. Naturally the lock back is a separate piece. The odd thing is the kicker is a third piece possibly pinned through the liners under the scales. It's about half the length of the handle starting near the pivot and narrowed in the blade well width. Again, you can't argue with success. It works, and that's what counts. The blade is not fast, but it locks like a vault, and the kicker is strong enough to fire the blade straight up vertical.

Back view, closed.

I am a fussy, anal retentive Engineer and I am grading this knife closely and doing Gulraiz no favors on the evaluation. Even on that grounds the knife is fabulous. I am completely satisfied and more or less thrilled. More because he hit the first one out of the park. Less, because I know he will get better and I'm asking him to do wilder, more elaborate and crazy things ... and I have every expectation that he will do them in his stride.

Comments, questions, whatever ... you know the drill.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Re: Damascus with a twist

Post by sammy the blade »

I'll start of the bidding at $100.00
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Looks flawless to me. Looks like you found a darn good knife builder.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

sammy the blade wrote:I'll start of the bidding at $100.00
No bidding allowed, this one is MINE. But thanks for the positive comment.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

HDC

Post by HDC »

Very nice
stay thirsty my friend
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I was looking forward to seeing this ever since you posted about it in our discussion about Damascus steel, looks awesome and great to see there was no "jinxing" :wink:

I especially love the Damascus bolsters, the knife maker really went all-out with those. You can even tell it's from an entirely different billet! Then the filework... Image

Definitely don't blame you for being unwilling to sell this... it's a real keeper! :)
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

That's a great knife Dave.
Your ability to find these knife builders is to be applauded.
Not only that but you take the plunge and get them building ,opening new makers to the hobby.
I really like this knife ,it has a gothic crusade look and I love that camel bone used for the scales.
It's fancy but not too fancy and it looks solid as a rock.
The Damascus looks fine to me and it all fits beautifully.
Congratulations on another build and new contact.

All the best
Ian
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

gravknife wrote:That's a great knife Dave.
Your ability to find these knife builders is to be applauded.
Not only that but you take the plunge and get them building ,opening new makers to the hobby.
I really like this knife ,it has a gothic crusade look and I love that camel bone used for the scales.
It's fancy but not too fancy and it looks solid as a rock.
The Damascus looks fine to me and it all fits beautifully.
Congratulations on another build and new contact.

All the best
Ian
I have been trying to not spill the beans about design work until the knives were built to specification. Jeremy has run with two of my designs, but then Jeremy can run from a picture and doesn't need much else. Gulraiz is learning. Duke is building dead accurate. I always say that Duke is my business partner, but you have to sell something to have a business. Most of the first production knives go strictly to me. I design because I want something, some idea has intrigued me, etc. Mostly we are going to try to showcase what CAN be done, in case someone WANTS it done.

You kind words are always greatly appreciated. I hope you are bearing up and finding lots of cool stuff. Keep a stiff upper lip, m8.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690