Renzo Pascotto Walt Halucha Latamas

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Renzo Pascotto Walt Halucha Latamas

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I've had these two in mind for a post for some time, just now getting around to it.

The Walt's Latama knives are really interesting to me, especially when I can document that they were built by master cutler, Renzo Pascotto. I bought the boxed one from Hooker Blades over a year ago and the other from Walt after he launched his new website.

They are both 5mm 13" flatguard picklocks with d-stamped liners, fundamentally identical to the ones from AGA Campolin, though I have never seen an AGA factory dagger, just bayonets and Kris's.

The top one is a gorgeous bayonet with Brazilian scales streaked with caramel. It is also stamped "4" on the liners. Mark told me that these were the original prototypes for Walt's Latama Elites. The bottom one is light horn with a few coffee streaks and an unusual swept dagger grind with just a bit of flat between edges near the tang. Both of these knives are flat buttons with nicely matched front and rear scales. I don't know what the Walt's coloration is called, but you see very little of it.

I can't recall the name of the gentleman who did the filework on the dagger, but I do recall that he is affiliated with Painted Pony. Perhaps someone call provide the information to me.

Note the decorated lock tab and how the design continues down into the blade well.

Big, lovely knives. They are very addictive to own. They're about as close as you can come to a full-on custom, without having one made to order.

The front tangs are stamped with Walt's 'Cat' logo.

The backs are marked "Renzo Pascotto" and "Pascotto, Renzo" the way the man signs it. I have heard that the "Renzo Pascotto" stamp is only for prototypes, and the "Pascotto, Renzo" is for production pieces. Normally the words would be part of a full logo as shown in the photo below.

Your comments and questions are greatly appreciated.
Last edited by ILikeStilettos on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Re: Renzo Pascuto Walt Halucha Latamas

Post by sammy the blade »

Fantastic!
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Re: Renzo Pascotto Walt Halucha Latamas

Post by whippersnapper »

Both are beautiful!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

What beauties. 8) 8)
Sheer class.
I love that locking tab design with the file cut lines.
How rare are the boxed examples Dave?

Ian
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I think Don has one and I have seen another. My guess is maybe a dozen. I paid about what I would pay for a current AGA for mine. Most collectors ignore moderns. They won't ever be worth what the old vintage ones are worth, but in ten years or so they will be just as hard to find as the old ones are now. I have a Merlin, a Malan, and bunches of Killbuckets ... those artists are gone. Other names in my collection are guys in their 70's. I have a pretty collection now, it will get better with age. I hope to leave my grandsons some priceless and irreplaceable pieces.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

gravknife wrote:What beauties. 8) 8)
Sheer class.
I love that locking tab design with the file cut lines.
How rare are the boxed examples Dave?

Ian
https://latama.net/collections/custom-e ... r-of-pearl
It was Mike Prater of Painted Pony. Here's another of his.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave
I think that's exactly right concerning the modern low run pieces and customs.
The older Italians are beautiful and desirable but its getting them, and in good condition.
At least with these switches you own ,they are mint and will be cared for accordingly and a lot less of them are made..I love the cat marked examples and those in boxes will be awed at for years to come.
God willing and the board stays strong for many years ,I'd love to see newer collectors faces when they see these knives.
I'd love to own just one of these killer pieces.

Keep em coming.
All the best
Ian
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

A couple more beautiful examples of why we love this hobby!
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Thanks for all the great comments from all of you guys. This is what makes any collector proud and eager to keep putting things up to see. You're all the best!
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Ok Captain Stiletto I think we all have had just about enough of your switchblade shenanigans.
I am calling you out Mister,start sending me your sh*t for inspection or I'm saying it didn't happen.
You just have to much cool stuff and I don't believe one man can have this much cool stuff so show proof or I'm calling to boycott your posts.
Same to you John, I know you are in cahoots with this David character so you guys come clean and share your knowledge or I am coming down on you guys like the Hammer of Thor.
Just try me 8) :lol:
AMDAZ

Post by AMDAZ »

Very Nice. Great looking scales. Good info. on the name. :D
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Viking45 wrote:Ok Captain Stiletto I think we all have had just about enough of your switchblade shenanigans.
I am calling you out Mister,start sending me your sh*t for inspection or I'm saying it didn't happen.
You just have to much cool stuff and I don't believe one man can have this much cool stuff so show proof or I'm calling to boycott your posts.
Same to you John, I know you are in cahoots with this David character so you guys come clean and share your knowledge or I am coming down on you guys like the Hammer of Thor.
Just try me 8) :lol:
Oh, you've found me and John out. Don, you'd better run for cover. You'll have to come to my house for the inspection, it's illegal to mail those things, ya know.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

DonC

Post by DonC »

I'm going to be hiding in Mexico under the alias of Poncho Villa McIntyer until the witch his hunt is over. Nothing to see here folks, just move along in an orderly manner.
DonC
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

ILikeStilettos wrote:Thanks for all the great comments from all of you guys. This is what makes any collector proud and eager to keep putting things up to see. You're all the best!

Keep them coming, I'm wearing my bib so I don't slobber all over myself! Man you have some nice stuff!!!!!
2024 candidate for president