A pair from George Cameron

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DonC

A pair from George Cameron

Post by DonC »

Sometime last year during a visit with George he showed me a rough-out of a new idea he had for using a toggle on the lock plate for unlocking the blade of a switchblade. I thought it looked interesting and asked him to keep me in mind if he ever decided to build a working version.

In February George posted a thread for a new build incorporating the toggle he had shown me.
http://sharperdeal.biz/forums/viewtopic ... lit=toggle (more on this a little later)[my apologies to anyone who isn't a member of the SD Forum but I don't know of any way to bring the article over here.]
I thought it looked really interesting and shot him an email asking him to build one for me in a 13” and I would send him some material for the scales when I found something I liked. It would have to have some interest but not overpower the visual effect of the new toggle mechanism. A little while later I came across some Big Leaf Maple burl that had been stabilized and dyed blue that I thought would work and got it off to him. George thought it would work as intended so he incorporated it in the build.

As the build progressed George sent me some progress photos and I thought I’d share them here.

The blade and back spring are 5mm 01 steel and the liners are 3/32 stainless and the gems in the toggle are rubies. George uses stock sear and button assemblies so he routes out a recess in the button side liner so he’ll have enough sear length for a positive engagement between the sear and blade.

The upper bolsters are two piece with the ears carved out of a solid piece of nickel.

The carved and polished finished product.

Temporarily assembled with the blade starting to take shape. George knows I’m a fan of long thin profile blades so he narrowed the blade by about 0.040 for me and added the ½ length bayonet grind to enhance the visual impression of long and thin.

George mirror polishes the inside of the stainless liners and on assembly installs bronze washers to smooth the opening and reduce swoosh marks on the blade.

George adds his trademark red liners when the scales go on. They do a nice job of drawing the eye to the scales. Something I noted on this build is that George “melted” the bottom bolster pins into the nickel so they’re almost invisible.

Close up of the locking assembly before the pivot pin is installed.

George not only builds the knives but he takes better pictures of them than I do.

My poor attempt at photography.

George’s signature.

And now the rest of the story. (with apologies to Paul Harvey)

About 12 years ago I got a (to me) very special car. I joined a local car club of like minded enthusiasts and have had a great time with the car and have met some remarkable people (very much like the members of these forums). Over the years, while my health has remained relatively good, I’ve noticed my mental faculties have started to decline. Nothing specific just old age catching up with me. As a result I’ve decided to sell the car before I have someone tell me to hand over the keys or, worse yet, let my enthusiasm carry me away and be the cause of and accident.
I let the car club know that I’d be letting the car go and with that would be withdrawing from the club activities. Over the years I sort of took over the job of planning various outings and trips for the club that ranged from short hops out to somewhere that presented a fun drive for lunch (a good lunch drive would be 175 to 250 miles round trip) to 4 day annual tours around Oregon and the surrounding states.
I attended the car club annual picnic last weekend and along with a bunch of Thank You cards from the club members was presented with a parting gift of George’s original Toggle Mechanism knife referred to above. “You could have knocked me over with a feather” when I was presented with the knife. I was speechless and could just stammer out my thanks to the club members.
While he was dealing with the club’s order and my request George didn’t say a word to me so the surprise was total.
So now I have a pair of George’s Toggle Release knives in my collection. I think these are the only two that George is going to make of this build. He mentioned that they were too much work to do more so I consider myself extremely fortunate.

The pair.

DonC
gravknife

Re: A pair from George Cameron

Post by gravknife »

DonC
Those knives are absolute beauties!

I love that mechanism and its excellent to see how these knives were made( with your informative description )in different stages.
The blade shape is killer and I love the red liners that are polished to lessen the blade catching.You always come up with killer scale materials aswell ,i love that blue maple .

Thanks for sharing these Don as I would never have heard of the toggle mechanism not being the forum on SD.

Im sorry to hear about your health and loss of car ,i wish you all the best in the future .

Take care my freind,and please keep posting these stunning blades of yours.

Ian
lance

Post by lance »

That mechanism is outstanding,you've got a he'll of a pair there Don!! Wow..and the story is amazing too.thanks for shareing don!!
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Don is too modest to mention exactly what the car is, but see this post and pictures of he and I. (Him behind the wheel, no I didn't get to drive it!)

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... it=seattle

Don is an amazing guy, as is George, and I can't think of a more perfect collaboration of superior guys in the knife world. As far as these two knives, the maker and the owner, I have four words - "end of an era".

Those are incredible and stunning, just love the blue BMB. I have a couple of pieces of that myself that are just waiting to be turned into something. Fabulous design and execution, George.

Major cool! :thumbs Up:
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave,
I see what you mean about the car a true beauty and ill bet it moved. 8)
I can see Don is a man of good taste with his knives so I should have known the car would have killer paint and style.
The trip described in the above topic is one of those wish I was there reads so thanks for the link Dave.
I really love those knives Don and that blade shape is just right for any switchblade.
All the best to you both

Ian
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

gravknife wrote:Dave,
I see what you mean about the car a true beauty and ill bet it moved. 8)
I can see Don is a man of good taste with his knives so I should have known the car would have killer paint and style.
The trip described in the above topic is one of those wish I was there reads so thanks for the link Dave.
I really love those knives Don and that blade shape is just right for any switchblade.
All the best to you both

Ian
You may want to glance at these as well.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22979

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23315

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23536

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22775 (Be sure to read this one to the end, or just skip to the end.)

And as always, my best to you, too, Ian.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

DonC

Post by DonC »

Dave:
Thanks for the looks at some more of George's creations. Your collaborations with him have produced some truly spectacular pieces.
DonC
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

DonC wrote:Dave:
Thanks for the looks at some more of George's creations. Your collaborations with him have produced some truly spectacular pieces.
DonC
I just ask for something and George runs with it. Collaboration implies that I contributed other than money. George is one hell of a guy, and you're tops in my book as well.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Beautiful Camerons Don and Dave.
I had shamefully never heard of George until this post and im glad you both remedied that.
Dave
Those topics are magnificent.
I love the knives especially that double blader ,thats just awesome.
The topic showing the knife build has taught me more on the construction of these beauties than amything ive read,also how exact thongs have to be to prevent blade peak or banana blade.
The chevvy is absolutely killer ,i see the theme with cars and switchblades.
I love the black scaled Cameron Don ended up with and showed here,ive become a fan of his from these posts here.
Thanks for the links my freind ill be reading them more and using as a reference.
Ill speak soon both you and Don take care.
Regards
Ian