Vintage German WWII fantasy switchblade

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
big_slim

Vintage German WWII fantasy switchblade

Post by big_slim »

Here is a knife I have that I can't find much information about. Let me start by saying that I am not trying to offend anyone or represent any ideology by posting this, I am a knife collector and it's a knife that I don't know much about. I've seen people on other forums get upset by nazi, kkk, "fake" knives, etc. and if that's the case here let me know and I'll remove the post. I know it is not an authentic WWII German Nazi switchblade knife but rather a later "fantasy" type piece. I have no idea where and when this was made. In trying to research it on the internet I can only find vague references to similar fantasy type knives sold overseas in the 60's and 70's to American soldiers and tourists. It is a decent quality swivel bolster switchblade, no safety, brass liners, and what look to be brass scales. overall length is about 9 3/4". The blade is quite sharp and doesn't look like it's been used. Has a Solingen mark with swastikas and squirrel which I think is some sort of fake Eickhorn mark. Other side of the blade is marked 440. That may be a clue as to when it was made, I don't really know when they started marking blades 440. The overall "vibe" of the knife suggests to me that it was maybe made in the 70's but that's just a guess. The blade seems to be of fairly decent quality, locks up tight, and fires very hard. There is a somewhat unique little twist on the backspring. The bolsters seem a little thicker and more solid than a lot of stuff from the 70's/80's. Knife has overall patina and wear that tell me it's at least somewhat older. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated, if anyone has any similar stuff they'd like to share, I'd love to see it.
nazi1.jpg
nazi1.jpg (184.62 KiB) Viewed 10827 times
nazi2.jpg
nazi2.jpg (203.9 KiB) Viewed 10827 times
nazi3.jpg
nazi3.jpg (240.29 KiB) Viewed 10827 times
nazi4.jpg
nazi4.jpg (130.3 KiB) Viewed 10827 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Vintage German WWII fantasy switchblade

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's a modern Chinese-made knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

well, I guess that's that on that. I can't find any pictures of any anywhere, do you know where I can find any? Usually modern chinese stuff is everywhere.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

No- I have never seen one like it either, I'm assuming this is the same one that has been on other forums.
But it's quite obvious it's Chinese. While it's possible it's a one-off, I don't believe it is.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

I haven't posted this anywhere else, nor have I seen one anywhere, what other forum has one posted?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Don't remember, but someone was asking about one just like it- so it's not unique.
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

Well, I was hoping somebody else on here would have one or have seen one or something. I'm sure this isn't the only one out there, I saw one other picture on the internet of a very similar knife, absolutely no information though.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

These knives have been popping up for about the last 4/5 months on a very public auction / online store and I believe are as Bill said , and have been "artificially " aged .
Last edited by niceguy2 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

any links to any anywhere or other pics would be greatly appreciated.
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

pic posted of one ^ up there
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

I really appreciate the info. guys.
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Veerrry Interesting................... But stupid.

SORRY I COULD NOT RESIST.
Attachments
Nazi-Laugh-In.jpg
Nazi-Laugh-In.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 10741 times
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

I like the meme.....but not very funny. :) I was not aware that the Chinese were making stuff like this though, that's why I just assumed it was an older knife like the Hitler pen knives that were around in the late 70's/early 80's. I'm not very familiar with modern Chinese stilettos though, so I guess there are certain "tells" that you guys recognize. The only ones I've seen were so obviously made of cheap materials and were of such poor quality that they didn't even work properly.
sammy da blade

Post by sammy da blade »

Chinese or not I think it's cool!
thuggin -N- buggin, that's how i roll!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

sammy da blade wrote:Chinese or not I think it's cool!
I agree it's kind of cool.
Know this about the Chinese- "Nothing is sacred!" They will produce anything if it makes money including counterfeiting any and everything.

As for being offensive,trust me I am more offensive than that knife :lol:
I know it's common knowledge today but the swastika is an ancient Indian symbol later used by the Romans.
Hitler admired the Romans thus inspired him to use the symbol.