Vintage 60s "topless derby bolster" stiletto

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
exumer2687

Vintage 60s "topless derby bolster" stiletto

Post by exumer2687 »

I have heard these referred to as the "derby" bolster variety.. I personally like to call them the "topless" bolsters.. when I hear derby bolster I think of the knives with both ears facing downwards looking like a derby hat.. anyway, here is a vintage 1960s BOBC "topless derby bolster" stiletto with some awesome nicely aged cracked ice scales. It's a 9" and has a great snap/kick and locks up nice. Stamped Virginia over Inox in an oval, patent over 96847 on the rear. Very cool knife! I used to think the bolsters on these were just a modified version of the standard stiletto bolster, missing the top half, but they are actually a totally different design, much smaller skinnier ears and rounded at the top, the ears are not brass lined but they are solid. The shorter top bolster makes the knife look longer, it has longer scales than the average 9" stilettos. I'm so glad I scored one of these... been wanting one for a long time and a big time collector from another forum was nice enough to gift me one.. it is one of the best gifts I have ever received!! when I get an opportunity to pay it forward, I absolutely will, and I will be keeping this one till the collection is part of my estate :lol:

hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Re: Vintage 60s "topless derby bolster" stiletto

Post by hogwild »

Very nice. My favorite Italian is BO/BC. I have a couple but no ice. Like that.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Very nice! Pretty scales. Gotta love that BOBC function, the strongest kind!
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Great one!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

NICE one, Mr. EX!

(I agree with you about the "derby")...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Very nice and I agree that it is not a "derby bolster."
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I've always felt that the one with two downturned ears and no top is a "True Derby" and the two downturned ears with the top is a "Kinda Derby". And the one with one ear up, one ear down and no top is just a "topless".
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

I have to agree too. These should not be called Derby bolster models. Those Derby bolster models seem much cheaper in construction when comparing the two.

The topless ones are very high quality offered by the top Maniago craftsmen in the 1960s.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Himmler88

Post by Himmler88 »

Please help me find the answer to this question of what is a derby/"topless" derby bolster stiletto. I actually came to this forum trying to understand what exactly qualifies a stiletto type knife as a derby or a "topless" derby bolster. Can I find a definitive answer to this here? I'm a novice collector at best and am puzzled by this knife variety. In pictures that I have found there seems not to be any difference between them & stilettos described as a not being derby/topless derby examples. As for the hat comparison dialogue, only women's "derby" style hats have a downward curve of the brim. A man's "derby" has a brim that curves upward.
Thank You very much...Himmler88
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

I held one many years ago,
almost identical type,
but he would not sell it. . .

It is a very sexy design.
Very cool addition to your collection.

A good "Mangler" could probably mock up a faux Topless
from a swingguard.
Lots of 11 inch swingguards out there with
9 inch guards mounted off-center,
just begging to be Hot-Rodded.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

reposted image without watermark
Attachments
Exumer2687-derbyBOBC-pearloid-002a.jpg
Exumer2687-derbyBOBC-pearloid-002a.jpg (98.71 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

I'm certainly no expert. Most of what I know about switchblades I learned from reading this forum over the years. I thought I knew the different bolsters, but I can certainly be wrong.

I thought this first type was simply called "topless", since the bolster is the same width as the handle and lacks the upper more narrower portion. Photo belongs to member Jules Vane.

I thought this next type was a "derby" (both guards pointing down like a mans derby hat). Photo belongs to member Switch King.

This next type (not an auto) I've seen described as a "derby", a "cactus" (both guards pointing up like the branches of a Saguaro cactus) , and "bull horns". So I don't know what to call it. I kinda like "cactus".

As far as what I'll refer to as the "classical" guard, with one pointed up and one pointed down, I've seen them referred to as "inverted", but I have also referred to them as "S-guards" or "serpentine".

Anyway, I guess opinions will vary. One thing is clear to me, this is certainly an interesting hobby, with lots of little interesting details like these.
Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

. I wish they made them like this. . . .much more wicked looking. . . .
Attachments
BOBC-derby-reversedA.jpg
BOBC-derby-reversedA.jpg (170.85 KiB) Viewed 1805 times