Swing-gars

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Swing-gars

Post by ILikeStilettos »

I was on the phone with my friend rock-n-roll$$$$ today and we were talking about some of the goofy things that we did as kids. Apparenty we both owned 13" manual Rosco bayonet picklocks in our early teens. Eric had a female friend who didn't like the knife he was carrying, so he heaved it into Walden Pond, and this persuaded the young lady to "amuse" him. In my case, I loved the Rosco, and later when I acquired an 11" White Pearlex swing guard (probably built by Frank B. even in those days, or at least out of the house of Beltrame) I decided it didn't measure up to my Rosco. I can't recall the exact circumstances, but I do recall having the knife on my dad's chopping block and going at it with an ax. I really think Eric's motivation was a bunch better.

In any case, I keep seeing these great Frank B. swingers, and I keep buying them. I wasn't sure how many exactly I had, so I gathered them up for a group shot. I also have quite a few 9" AKC's. So here we go:

From left to right, the lucky thirteen are white micarta bayonet, custom black and white camel bone flat-button bayonet from John Vitale (bought in pieces from Rick), Brazilian bottomless bayonet, imitation ivory bayonet, another Brazilian bottomless bayonet, light horn extended bayonet, #36/40 LE Damascus flat button abalone extended bayonet. #13/40 Sweedish Damascus flat button stag red dot extended bayonet, BMOP dagger, camel horn dagger, black horn SloJoe custom skull dagger, black horn flat button red dot Kris, and white Pearlex WSB Kris.

Only the stag and the skull button have filework.

Mostly these say "Frank B. Italy" in various degrees from sharp to nearly invisible. But there are a few oddballs thrown in. The white macerate is the only one with a rounded profile to the scales and it's marked "Stainless Steel 440 B". I'm guessing the "B" is still Beltrame.

The back stamp on the abalone.

The back stamp on the stag.

Both the limited editions have a sharp Frank B. marking, but it appears to be etched deeply rather than stamped.

Yet another front stamp on the white WSB.

That infamous "WSB" stamp.

From left to right, the seven 9" AKC's are light horn old style dagger (much nicer, I don't know why they changed), imitation ivory dagger, imitation ivory bayonet, light horn bayonet, light horn bayonet, coffee and cream bayonet, and stag bayonet. Note that the two imitation ivory have screw adjustable pivots.

Flip side.

Thanks for having a gander at my swing guard addiction.
Last edited by ILikeStilettos on Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: Swing-gars

Post by JerrBear »

Mos' impressive collection of swingers, Mr. ILS...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

JerrBear wrote:Mos' impressive collection of swingers, Mr. ILS...
Thanx, Mr. Bear, Sir.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

JerrBear wrote:Mos' impressive collection of swingers, Mr. ILS...
I concur,gorgeous group of knives.
The two kris blades are especially unique,love the red dot dark horn.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Thanks, Viking. I have a friend with similar tastes to mine, but can't stand red dots. Different strokes, ya know.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Switch King

Post by Switch King »

Wow, you have a very nice collection of Swing Guards :!:
I like the 11inch swinggards really. I also like the 9inch Swing Guards. I am of the opinion that you should make a new design for the nines Swing Guard.
I would imagine that a more rounded design of the handles would be very good and the blade should look similar to the 11 inch Swingers :!:
What is your opinion :?:
Greetings from Europe
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

ILikeStilettos wrote:Thanks, Viking. I have a friend with similar tastes to mine, but can't stand red dots. Different strokes, ya know.
I understand and I was not a big fan growing up but years ago I came to realize the vintage knives always had the dot and now it is nostalgic to me.
Today my biggest concern is the lack of the gorgeous tang stamps of the past. "Stamp" not an etch.
It shows a strong sense of pride.
Danny Bailey

Post by Danny Bailey »

Nice stuff. And I love the red dots.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Nice selection to be sure.
The one marked "440 B" refers to the type of steel. These were available about 10 years ago and not made by Frank. He later bought the tooling as I understand it and makes all of the 11"ers now. I have one marked just like yours. One "feature" of these is the off-centered guards. They were made that way for some reason. You could buy replacement guards if you wanted that restored symmetry to the knife.