Fat Tony by Picklokpat Pat Havlin

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Fat Tony by Picklokpat Pat Havlin

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Picklokpat wrote:Like the old CSN&Y song begins: It's been a long time commin'
Here it is the culmination of Dave's design changes to a basic guard-less profile that I faxed him.
I have to admit that at first I didn't care a lot for it but as it grew so did my opinion of it.
Now that it's grown up, I like it all the more.
It's a hefty piece built on 3/32 brass liners with 1/4" steels, two piece front bolsters one piece rear.
My standard dovetailed kicker and a keyhole shaped button atop the plunge release.

My Pat Havlin custom.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
dark2023

Re: Fat Tony by Picklokpat Pat Havlin

Post by dark2023 »

I love the button shape, the whole knife is pretty slick though. I bet your proud to be the owner of such a unique and cool piece.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
peter44

Post by peter44 »

Beautiful :!:
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Outstanding work...
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Beautiful knife. PLP is a true craftsman. You can be very proud of showing it off. 8)
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

To all who have taken the time to look and comment, I thank you most sincerely. To Pat, 'thank you' is completely insufficient for creating this masterpiece and one of the crown jewels of my collection. I have deliberately not responded to this post for a few days, in order to give everyone a chance to speak their minds openly and candidly. I know that it's definitely not what you would have ordered, had you had the chance to commission Pat, and the knife is the result of many emails back and forth on various aspects before he agreed to build anything. Pat has superlative standards, and once told me that he quit doing filework because it seemed like a way to conceal underlying flaws in a knife. When you build without 'gilding the lily' you have to do it absolutely correctly at every step, there are no acceptable compromises and no shortcuts. Beauty comes from great materials and a flawless execution.

This has been a very personal project for me, and Pat has produced my 'ultimate' knife. I fully realize it's not everyone's ultimate, and in fact, some parts of the design may strike you negatively. That's OK, you're absolutely entitled to your opinion. It would be a dull world if we all had exactly the same tastes. I like wild designs, and this time around I negotiated for something unique on each and every feature of the knife. It's not your traditional, vintage Italian stiletto, nor was it made in Italy. However, if it's not the quintessential Italian stiletto, perhaps it is the evolved and perfected version from the recognized master builder of this genre and it's certainly an extreme 'fatty'.

A run of the mill 13" runs around 7 oz. or a bit less. This knife weighs in at nearly 15 oz. Hefty doesn't begin to describe it. A standard is about 1/2" thick at the pommel, this one is 15/16". I asked Pat to maintain a smooth profile, neither stepping up or down where bolster and scale met - otherwise the knife might be even thicker. The locktab is 3/4" X 3/4" and 1/8" thick with a 1/4" hole, because I asked Pat to put a big heavy pin on it and to leave it smooth (without the traditional parallel lines).

Pat also pointed me to the choices of grind and blade thickness that would allow for a sharp knife. I'm not a fan of swedges, but Pat's swedge almost looks like a bayonet with that small flat on top, the actual swedge grind is only on the front. Both faces are hollow ground, so yes, even at 1/4" thick it's sharp. It has a factory edge, not a razor, but the potential is there to be razor sharp when you build from O-1 tool steel (or maybe he used 1095, I'm not sure). I asked for a nice, straight line taper from top to bottom and in keeping with that I got a longer blunt nose top and a faceted pommel. The ears are cut off short and parallel to the long taper, and they lean back just a hair. The scales are superb.

For the record, this is my first and probably only 'square button plunge release'. Before mine, I'd never seen one in life or had the pleasure of handling one. The snap produced by that massive 1/4" kick spring is equally impressive. So there you have it, the stiletto on steroids, the ultimate evolution of that experimental Latama design.

Thanks again for looking, and know that I am the happiest of campers and feel privileged beyond mere words to own this beauty.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Switch King

Post by Switch King »

I'm in love :!: :o 8)
It's like they said before, a crown jewel.
It is always amazing what can create the love of a craft.
More I can not say that :!: :!:
Greetings from Europe
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Thanks for the kind words, Rene, and everyone else.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

FreeTheArmy

Post by FreeTheArmy »

This solidifies it:
Pat Havlin is more human than human, PERIOD!
"Everyone is your neighbor."
tanto

Post by tanto »

Great looking knife!
---------------

My knives + watches
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

ilikestilettos wrote:Pat not only makes a great knife, but he also takes a great picture. I'm adding a couple of mine concentrating on particular aspects of the knife. Now that I see the shots on the forum, I still have some work to do in the IPEVO photography area.

I asked for a big fat pin to match the 1/4" blade and no lines on an octagonal locktab, and that's what I got. It's also really thick and massive.

I wanted to show the great back scale and the nice straight taper of this knife.

Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

killbucket wrote:That is NUTS. :shock: Looks like it could crush a steel-toed harness boot.
That's more giant PillBuster than I've ever dreamt of.

How about an everyday object for size reference? My fave is a Bic lighter.

Well I didn't have a Bic Lighter so I used a penny or three (as they're good for little else).

From left to right, Pat's 1/4" thick Fat Tony (.09" liners) , an AGA in 5 mm (.06" liners), and my "fat" Rosco auto (.04" liners) that you restored.

While I'm at it I might as well comment that whenever I can I specify to leave the lines off the locktab. Notice the two on the right? The holes are off-center to the lines. With Pat's, no lines, and it looks perfectly symmetrical (which it probably would be with or without the lines.)
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

PLP's work is flawless. His attention to detail is phenominal.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
tommyw68

Post by tommyw68 »

Yes, his work is amazing and he is a truly nice fellow. Just had this one made for me...12" long, with Mike Norris Hornet's Nest stainless Damascus on the blade, button and safety. Locks up like safe and kicks hard. The scales are something really special to look at and feel in the hand - a sandwich of tusk and horn.

tommyw68

Post by tommyw68 »