Fat Tony by Picklokpat Pat Havlin

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tommyw68

Re: Fat Tony by Picklokpat Pat Havlin

Post by tommyw68 »

ILikeStilettos wrote:
tommyw68 wrote:It's 3/16" thick. I was considering 1/4" but I would have had to go with a 13" or larger which is just a bit to big to really carry - for me., plus the steel gets very expensive. I had to get an 8" bar for this blade. So... 11's always seem a bit to dainty in my hand but 13's and 15s feel like short swords, so I went with 12. It has the heft of a 13 but is just more manageable. One inch really makes a difference- it still opens lightning fast and hard but has the weight of a larger piece. I'm actually surprised that this size isn't more common.
I think you made a wise decision. My 1/4" was a naive attempt to go "over the top" and it is just that. The tension of the kicker against the mechanism all but locks it in place and it takes huge pressure on the button to fire it. If you like, give me a holler on the phone some time and I will present some cost effective alternatives for the Damascus. On a separate issue, i have an interesting 12" knife in progress for the very reasons you mention. Send me your email address and I will share that with you. PLP is still the master, but your knife reflects a ton of intelligence and logic. Any builder needs a clear idea of where the buyer wants to go and ultimate success hinges on good direction. Without a doubt, you were more effective than I.
And for what's it's worth.. I think you made some great decisions because their yours and they're unique. That is a wild knife I would love to own but it's no fun copying someone else's idea.