post your craziest scales on your knife

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
seemonster

post your craziest scales on your knife

Post by seemonster »

would like to see some crazy handle scales
Nemo

Re: post your craziest scales on your knife

Post by Nemo »

Here you go ...Nemo
john

Post by john »

Hello Nemo,
Looks like wood - what kind is it? , mammoth, ivory or bone and ?? BTW nice file work.
What is on the knife?
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

[quote="john"]Hello Nemo,
Looks like wood - what kind is it? , mammoth, ivory or bone and ?? BTW nice file work.
What is on the knife?
John[/quote]
That is bloodwood..buffalo horn...giraffe bone and Ivory...I ran out of handle materials one day and wanted to work on a knife...so I went through my scraps and came up with that.....Nemo
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

lordkerward wrote:Could someone posts your nice knife stuff guys?,
i'm also new here but getting more curious since having here....
Thanks!
Maybe that username is new, but you're not new here. You've been posting with that spam link in your signature for at least a couple years. Very subtle :roll:
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

BTB0923 wrote: Maybe that username is new, but you're not new here. You've been posting with that spam link in your signature for at least a couple years. Very subtle :roll:
Why do the MODS allow this? Like Mr. BTB says, it's SPAM!
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I try to check every new member that posts. This guy added his linked signature after I first checked him out. This seems to be the new trick to embed their links into old posts by a later edit, or adding signatures later that contain links. This makes it harder to find and delete unless you happen to read an old post.

I appreciate BTB and jerry (and others) for helping by reporting these guys. 8) It helps alot.
You've been posting with that spam link in your signature for at least a couple years. Very subtle
Yeah, I know I have banned this weapons universe guy dozens of times, but they keep coming back.
mocha

Post by mocha »

Here are a few. 4 13" modern Italians rescalled in Purple Pearl, Candy Stripe, Black Pearl, and Imitation Tortuse Shell. A completely scratch built 17" Square button Ring pull release with Elephant Ivory Scales, and a completely scratch built 20" OTF Tanto Bladed with Ray Skin, and soon to have Samurai wrapped handle.
Attachments
IMG_1755[1] (2).jpg
IMG_1755[1] (2).jpg (287.32 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
Picklokpat

Post by Picklokpat »

mocha wrote:Here are a few. 4 13" modern Italians rescalled in Purple Pearl, Candy Stripe, Black Pearl, and Imitation Tortuse Shell. A completely scratch built 17" Square button Ring pull release with Elephant Ivory Scales, and a completely scratch built 20" OTF Tanto Bladed with Ray Skin, and soon to have Samurai wrapped handle.
Nice Especially the scratch builds. I can see no scale pins in the ivory piece? I think I see a backspring pin but none fore or aft. Would you care to comment on this ...perhaps explain how you did it?
Thanks PLP
lamppa

Post by lamppa »

these scales are pretty and make it easy to hold.

IMG_2819 by lump_digity, on Flickr
mocha

Post by mocha »

Hey PLP,

On the 17" Ivory piece where there is usually a pin in the middle through the backspring I used a counter sunk allen screw assembly that was large enough to hold the two scales together being they were snug fit between the bolsters anyway. I guess I could have pinned the top, and bottom with nickle silver pins, but I just got lazy, and being it's a case queen anyway it looks cleaner with out the pins. Dave
Picklokpat

Post by Picklokpat »

Hey Dave
I like it looks real clean. I though that maybe you had left a stub, like a tennon, to fit into the bolsters or something. Guess thats the carpenter in me.
I have seen that done on an older knife that came through the shop sometime or another.
Again, Nice work
mocha

Post by mocha »

Thanks, Picklock Pat! I enjoy your work too! I love your 13"ers, that's mostly what I collect, 13" moderns, transitionals, and picklocks, but here is a better photo of the 17" with a brother piece I custom made. It's another 17" but with Kriss blade, Fulcrum release. and Brazilian horn handles so large I had to splice two pieces together.
Attachments
17inchers.jpg
17inchers.jpg (346.45 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
Picklokpat

Post by Picklokpat »

Yes I like these pics better! that is a real sleek look man.
Now I want to build a biggun. I think the last biggun I built was for Natcherly,coincidentally, it was a 17"er with ivory scales.
I have a pair of large brazilian scales too. Guess I have no reason or escuse not to go ahead with it.
Is that brazilian piece about an 18"?
IF you ever want ivory again let me know I have an Excellent source. Ya get a discount if you say "PicklockPat sent me" hahaha
Thanks for these pics I'll see what I can dig up.
mocha

Post by mocha »

Glade you like the photo Pat!!! My original intention was to make an 18" sized knife with the width, or bolster size of a 13"er. I never liked how the 15"ers, and larger knives jump up in bolster size, and width. I originally drew these on paper by hand as an extended 13"er, but some how they swelled to some where between the width of an 18", and 13" with some where in between bolster size, they still look better than the average 18" width though. I sold the kriss a few years ago, but still have the Ivory one.
Attachments
17 inch Horn Fulcrum back.gif
17 inch Horn Fulcrum back.gif (257.68 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
09290006[1].JPG
09290006[1].JPG (330.77 KiB) Viewed 4750 times