ID help

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
thatoneguy

ID help

Post by thatoneguy »

I just found these old knives on some of my grandfathers stuff. No idea of their age/value (or if there is any)
Attachments
This one is rivet conducted with Q-steel on the tang
This one is rivet conducted with Q-steel on the tang
Blade 2-1.jpg (166.71 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
Blade 1-2.jpg
Blade 1-2.jpg (175.41 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
Not sure about this it doesn't seem like anything special but who knows. Tang stamped Imperial over Prov. R.I.
Not sure about this it doesn't seem like anything special but who knows. Tang stamped Imperial over Prov. R.I.
Blade 1-1.jpg (187.66 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
thatoneguy

Re: ID help

Post by thatoneguy »

Here's the last one
Attachments
Blade 3-4.jpg
Blade 3-4.jpg (173.21 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
Blade 3-2.jpg
Blade 3-2.jpg (189.69 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
Heres my favorite of the bunch. Leather sheath with a metal trim, stag (?) Handle with what looks to be leather spacers. I believe its a steel pommel and the guard seems to be brass. The tang is stamped Solingen over Germany
Heres my favorite of the bunch. Leather sheath with a metal trim, stag (?) Handle with what looks to be leather spacers. I believe its a steel pommel and the guard seems to be brass. The tang is stamped Solingen over Germany
Blade 3-1.jpg (197.84 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
Last edited by thatoneguy on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

And here's the stamp
Attachments
IMG_20110617_001859.jpg
IMG_20110617_001859.jpg (240.94 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Very nice. I love old knives like these. Especially the German made with stag.
Just going from my own personal experience I have seen Hubertus,Puma,Linder,Edge Mark and a couple others make very similar knives like the one you have.
My guess is that the pommel is aluminum,most of the ones I have seen were aluminum.

They do have value but how much I really don't know. Just like anything else,depends on condition,brand etc etc.

All I can say is that I really love these old fixed blade knives,I think they look best with some wear and tear and a nice patina.
I always keep my eyes open for these...thing is I rarely stop in flea markets or garage sales and that's when you can grab one for a couple bucks.(they are worth a lot more but people don't know that)

The Imperial with the PROV. RI stamp is cool. Many later Imperials were made in Ireland so the "PROV RI" stamp is a plus.
That knife could be from the "teens",twenties,thirties and so on. I'm no authority just know I have several and seen dozens in my time.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Bumpity bump. Anyone know anything?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

The Q-Steel is probably an old Queen, but you probably knew that.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

I honestly really don't know much about vintage stuff so I've heard of Queen but don't know about them
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I am no expert but I do know more about these knives than I know about vintage switchblades.
As for age- I would say the German knives are from late 50's to 60's.
Not sure about the Q but my guess would be the same apprx years as the German's.

I didn't want to say anything at first because I don't like to rain on anyone's parade but the knives would bring less than 30 bucks a piece.
However there is always that "one" collector out there that would pay more.
It's the overall condition that's hurting you in this case.

As I said before these knives have a very special place in my heart(not literally) :lol:
Old does not always mean rare,I have seen many of these knives through the years,in fact hardware stores,Sears,JC Penny's,Otasco and other similar stores carried these knives back in the 50's/60's and early 70's
In fact these could possibly be from the early 70's but it is very hard to tell as they did not change the design or stamps in all those years.

I hope this helps.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

Cool thanks for that, the value really doesn't matter as I don't plan on selling them quite yet I just wanted to know about them