Transitional Switchblades....

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

mr 666,

i can't quite tell from the picture, but is the cracked ice a picklock or swivel bolster?

Post by 666 »

Mr.Bigg

All the knives above have swivels. Are we the only nuts that stay up this late? lol.
"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law"
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

damn the ole eyeballs just aint what they used to be :lol:

well i'm on the west coast, so it's just 11:15PM now...so that means at least two more hours of cyber tomfoolery :wink:

this has turned into a very interesting thread, i'll be watching to see where it goes!

Post by 666 »

I went and looked at some of my other 13" Transitional knives..these are very early ones, very thick springs and all. The buttons are a bit lower like the 8" stag that Bill pointed out. But like I stated before, since they are between the old stock and the new stock, then the newer Trans can have the higher set button. The people that I received some of these knives from are very well known in the knife community. One of them is a very good friend of mine that I absolutely trust without question. If he tells me that the ones he gave me are Transitional knives, then that's what they are....no questions asked.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Are the liners any indication of age? My extensive collection of vintage italian knives 1 knive :roll: has a brass liner under the "ears" on the non swivel side. Not that way on the swivel side??
Do picklocks have liners under the ears on both sides??
Missaman

Post by 666 »

I do believe I have liners under both bolsters on my pick-locks and some older Transitional knives.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Questions are always welcome!
I guess it may be possible, but what then would differentiate them from modern knives? For me, nickel silver is the deciding factor.
The term is open to interpretation, but I have seen many modern knives advertised as transitional pieces.
I have seen trans knives without the swedge, with high buttons, low buttons, with "D" brackets and without.
Bill
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bill,

You wrote "I have seen many modern knives advertised as transitional pieces." I can't help but wonder whether they are honest errors or whether we are in the truth in advertising arena.

Jim