How many had one of these as a kid?

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
StevieWunder
Location: Georgia, land of the free, home of 4 million northern escapees

Re: How many had one of these as a kid?

Post by StevieWunder »

HOW OLD ARE WE.. Do refer to the old ring pull beer cans or the ones where one needed to use the can opener to "pop a top"
Started off back when all the good ole boys refused to leave home without a "church key." Graduated to making pop top chains to decorate the truck, but it just wasn't the same. Used to take a man to wad up a beer can with one hand. You could put a .38 through one-make a nice, clean hole, but wouldn't bend that Blue Ribbon.
That's how old I am.
And those WERE good old days.
Is this fun,or WHUT?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I have always enjoyed European beers so a bottle opener was always in my arsenal.
That being said I now have quite the bottle opener collection. 8)
I like the old vintage openers with beer company logos.

Anyone have any they want to sell I would be interested :lol:
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Viking45 wrote:I have always enjoyed European beers so a bottle opener was always in ,my arsenal.
That being said I now have quite the bottle opener collection. 8)
I like the old vintage openers with beer company logos.

Anyone have any they want to sell I would be interested :lol:
Viking, not looking to sell, but I have a few of those from when I collected beer signs, cans etc. for a couple of years in the mid 1980s. I'm not old enough to remember the cans that had to be opened with "church keys," but remember the pull tabs well. I found one in a gravel parking lot several months ago that must have been unearthed from a heavy rain storm. I showed it to all of the folks in my office and non of the people who were in their mid 20s or early 30s had a clue what it was!

Viking, right after posting this, I found these two can/bottle openers in a kitchen drawer. The larger opener does not have a beer logo, but it was made by Canco, a company that began making cans in the 1930s.
Attachments
DSCF1785.JPG
DSCF1785.JPG (227.86 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Nice Panzer,I have a few with beer names I never heard of.
I know a guy that used to run a old Heidelberg printer made in Germany. There was a built-in bottle opener near the main control panel. It said Heidelberg right on the opener.
This just blew my mind. But I suppose at one time the Germans would have a beer with their lunch. Maybe they still do I don't know.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Viking45 wrote:Nice Panzer,I have a few with beer names I never heard of.
I know a guy that used to run a old Heidelberg printer made in Germany. There was a built-in bottle opener near the main control panel. It said Heidelberg right on the opener.
This just blew my mind. But I suppose at one time the Germans would have a beer with their lunch. Maybe they still do I don't know.
Viking, the Germans probably still do. The last time I visited in Germany was in 1995, and I saw someone drinking a beer at an open market in Munich at about 9 a.m. I'm not a morning drinker, but after seeing that I tried it too. The beer tasted great but I still prefer coffee in the morning. :) I just found two more openers, one marked Balentine beer and the other is marked Pabst Blue Ribbon. I think I have about a dozen of these stashed in different places. I'm gonna have to see if I can round 'em all up.
missaman

Post by missaman »

I know for a fact Jim D Can ID the opener But can he ID the bottle cap :mrgreen:
Missa
Attachments
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-015S.JPG (33.65 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Mine's a PAL.

Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
missaman

Post by missaman »

I believe PAL is a german inport stamp :?:
Missa
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

missaman wrote:I believe PAL is a german inport stamp :?:
Pal Blade Co. opened in Plattsburg, NY in 1935 and made razor blades. Pal purchased Remington Cutlery in 1939 and moved the business to Holyoke, Mass. Pal made pocket knives with a combination of Pal and Remington parts from 1941 - 1945 called Pal/Remington transition knives. Pal went out of business in the early 50s.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
missaman

Post by missaman »

I stand corrected wink:
S&W

Post by S&W »

OMG, I looked in a box and I still have it. couldnt afford a real boy scout knife til a year later.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Here is a Camillus Cub Scout knife that belonged to my dad. He was in the Cub Scouts in the 1940s. although I am not certain if this was the knife that he had then.
Attachments
DSCF1839.JPG
DSCF1839.JPG (145.29 KiB) Viewed 3665 times
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Missa,

Yes, I can ID the opener and have enjoyed many a Nat Boh and in years past many a Nat Premium. Just last weekend I was in the land of pleasant living and had dinner with my daughter at Shuckers in Fells Pt. We both consumed a few Nat Bohs, Glad to see the name resurrected.

Oh yeah, I can't ID the cap - pleae help.

Jim
redeye

Post by redeye »

This si weird,I saw this thread when it first was posted and thought now where is my old KAMP KING ? I have had a few. Then I was doing an inspection last week and I saw a knife laying on a mantle in an old house that was abandoned for years. It was an old KAMP KING in dire need of some oil and TLC so I rescued it from a certain death from the demolition that is inevitable to happen to that old house and when I picked it up there was a old brownish yellowed pamphlet that had the words"WAR RATION BOOK TWO printed on it and there are 18 ration stamps inside ranging from increments from 1 2 5 and 8 with differant letters on each I was not even a gleam in my dads eye when these were used but I bet a couple of yall may remember ration stamps I wonder if the knife ids from the same era? Ill get some pics up soon
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

redeye wrote:This si weird,I saw this thread when it first was posted and thought now where is my old KAMP KING ? I have had a few. Then I was doing an inspection last week and I saw a knife laying on a mantle in an old house that was abandoned for years. It was an old KAMP KING in dire need of some oil and TLC so I rescued it from a certain death from the demolition that is inevitable to happen to that old house and when I picked it up there was a old brownish yellowed pamphlet that had the words"WAR RATION BOOK TWO printed on it and there are 18 ration stamps inside ranging from increments from 1 2 5 and 8 with differant letters on each I was not even a gleam in my dads eye when these were used but I bet a couple of yall may remember ration stamps I wonder if the knife ids from the same era? Ill get some pics up soon
Redeye, I have some of those ration books that were issued to my grandparents and my dad. My dad was not even a teenager when the war ended in 1945, so they must have been issued to everyone. Can you imagine the reaction of the kids today if things were rationed?