New MT LUDT

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Springmesser

Re: New MT LUDT

Post by Springmesser »

Vagrant wrote:Valmet, actually supplied the first Galil receivers, until Israeli production was "up to speed' :idea:
The Valmet M76 was made in Finland.....and I have always wanted one. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valmet_M76
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I have one, it IS a GREAT gun :idea:
Wiki [incorretly] claims they have a stamped and riveted receiver :? Other sources [and my gun] assert they are Forged and milled :wink:
I'll believe "a gun in the hand" over any website :idea:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I wish I bought a Valmet back in the early 80's when I could have got one for well under 1000.
The Valmet is my favorite AK style. The Finns are underestimated in their production of military equipment,I suppose the harsh conditions prompts them to go above and beyond duty.
Back then (apprx 1982ish) I could have bought an HK 91 for 500 bucks new.
In all honesty I prefer the Galil because it was designed to looser tolerances to allow for mud,dirt and sand.
Don't laugh but the Daewoo 5.56 is a very well functioning little unit. I actually considered buying one back when they were under 500 bucks. They took the AR mags.
But back in the 80's I wanted any and everything that even resembled a military rifle.

I bought this Golani Sporter new in the box,came with two 35 rd mags and like the article says,they are heavy-walled steel and just like the rifle built tank-tough.
This gun feels like it's one solid piece of steel.
I am looking to buy at least 4 more mags at about 30 bucks apiece. Thing is so far I have only seen the 35 rd,it would be nice to have a few 20's and even a 10.
Unless I overlooked the article,I'm still unsure if the Galil mags fit this particular rifle.
(looks like I will have to get Vagrant on the case)

I took the author's advice and bought the Mill Comm TW25B
http://www.mil-comm.com/
This stuff is pricey but well worth it,a little goes a long way.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I don't know about the Golani [specifically] but almost all AK deriveitives accept AK mags.
Take one of yours to a gun dealer and compare :idea:
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Vagrant wrote:I have one, it IS a GREAT gun :idea:
Wiki [incorretly] claims they have a stamped and riveted receiver :? Other sources [and my gun] assert they are Forged and milled :wink:
I'll believe "a gun in the hand" over any website :idea:
The M76 they show in the picture has a stamped receiver.....I prefer the milled...even if its a little heavier.

My "Poly-Tech Legend" :)
Attachments
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG (120.4 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

And, this one is forged and milled :idea:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

And, a "stamped" AK receiver looks like this - note, the rivits :idea:
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Valmet made both types...milled and stamped....I prefer the milled myself......nice rifle Vagrant. 8)

Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I got it after the first, of several, assault weapon bans, it was the only thing left in stock :lol:
It is now, "worth more than I paid for it" :wink:
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Vagrant wrote:I got it after the first, of several, assault weapon bans, it was the only thing left in stock :lol:
It is now, "worth more than I paid for it" :wink:
Yeah......our local gunshop had a brand new Valmet on the wall for yrs...it had dust all over it....I wen in there one day and looked up to see it and it was gone....and there was a clean spot on the wall where it hung in the shape of the Valmet...that is how long it hung there. :)
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

In Vagrant's first pic you can see an odd "milled-out" place in front of the mag,same as mine,the only thing I can assume is that this is a spot where extra weight can be removed. It has no other real benefit.
Love the wood on that Valmet. I love my folding stock but I prefer the rifle with the stock open. Unless it was fully auto and I was going into a crack house then it would be nice folded. Otherwise mine is always open.(unfolded whatever)

I dig the Poly Tech :!: Very nice.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Vagrant wrote:I don't know about the Golani [specifically] but almost all AK deriveitives accept AK mags.
The Golani is more of a "Galil" copy and a 223 so it is a little different.
I'm no AK expert so I will do a little research :wink:

(I know you know this,just saying)

Sorry,can't leave it alone,gotta comment.
When it comes to custom pistols I have seen Kimbers and Les Baers and to me they are all awesome. BUT,a Les Baer cost's a fortune. 85% of the people that could afford one can use it to about 1/3rd of it's potential. People that "can" use one choose a Springfield Armory for 500 bucks,put anther 500 into it and blow the competition away.
My question is why have a 3700 dollar drawer gun for self defense when a good ole Colt 1911 would be more than enough?

Maybe this will stir up a debate :lol:

I am a "45" man all the way. Yes I like 40's,9's,357's,44's etc etc but love my 45's.
BIG BORE! :lol:
Last edited by Viking45 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Viking45 wrote:In Vagrant's first pic you can see an odd "milled-out" place in front of the mag,same as mine,the only thing I can assume is that this is a spot where extra weight can be removed. It has no other real benefit.
Love the wood on that Valmet. I love my folding stock but I prefer the rifle with the stock open. Unless it was fully auto and I was going into a crack house then it would be nice folded. Otherwise mine is always open.(unfolded whatever)

I dig the Poly Tech :!: Very nice.
They are called "Lightening marks" as I mentioned in my previous post....the milled receiver AK-47...Valmet....Galil....have the "lightening marks"
My milled receiver Bulgarian SA-93 and SLR95 have the lightening marks also. :)
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Viking45 wrote:
Vagrant wrote:I don't know about the Golani [specifically] but almost all AK deriveitives accept AK mags.
The Golani is more of a "Galil" copy and a 223 so it is a little different.
I'm no AK expert so I will do a little research :wink:

(I know you know this,just saying)
No....your 5.56 Golani will not accept an AK-47 7.62X39 magazine.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Springmesser wrote:
They are called "Lightening marks" as I mentioned in my previous post....the milled receiver AK-47...Valmet....Galil....have the "lightening marks"
My milled receiver Bulgarian SA-93 and SLR95 have the lightening marks also. :)[/quote]

Cool. I learn something every time I come here.
Ahhh "lightENing marks...I was thinking lightning marks as in lightning bolts. Gotcha :oops: I'm going for another drink now :lol:

(no worries,I'm only dangerous to myself) :lol: