1st Latama

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Grim

Re: 1st Latama

Post by Grim »

Great find :wink:
DONT TREAD ON ME
dave

Post by dave »

orangeboy wrote:Is it an 11" or 13"?
it is an 11'', fire button position says it all. it appears to have a late model safety with the folded over cap. sure is a great knife. congrats on your score and welcome to the forum.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

It is an 11". It's this one. If I could speak freely about this knife without everyone jumping down my throat...

As a collector of vintage stilettos, that rescale job looks horrible. I thought it was a Frank Beltrame.
Rangerscoot please don't take offense to my words because I'm not trying to be hurtful, nor am I cutting down Rick's work,
but you could have found a vintage manual lockback with matching 50 year old horn pretty easily and just changed out the rear handle.
That type of original front handle color and aging is to die for and what most all collectors desire on a vintage Latama and I didn't see any damage to it.

Sorry it makes me cringe to see that new streaky light horn on that knife, especially considering how
nice the front horn looked originally. I'll admit the rear handle was probably a goner, but the front???
Though to be honest I've seen guys who could save and repair that rear horn too. By gluing and laminating up bug bites
and you'd never know they were there, but it's expensive.

Does it still have a hair trigger and not stay closed? Why not send it to Smallfoot or Bill D. and have it redone.
Put the old front handle on it, find a vintage lockback with old school horn for the rear and have them fix it so it works right?

It's a great classic knife and it would be a real TREASURE (and potentially valuable) if done right, but right now it looks ruined :shock:

Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
chopper561

Post by chopper561 »

Well said Orangeboy.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Yes, well stated Orangeboy.

Jim
dave

Post by dave »

yes that is well stated.
betty boop

Post by betty boop »

very nice ........I love Latama's :D
rangerscott

Post by rangerscott »

Whoops! I stand corrected! It is an 11"!! :o
rangerscott

Post by rangerscott »

>>>>>>>>>kicked in the a__ by orangeboy! :lol: I just might take his lead though! I know it was for my own good! haha.. :lol: I do love a purist though! 8)
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

PM sent 8)
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

rangerscott wrote:>>>>>>>>>kicked in the a__ by orangeboy! :lol: I just might take his lead though! I know it was for my own good! haha.. :lol: I do love a purist though! 8)
I just want you (and everyone else) to have better knives, and right now your knife is in severe pain! 8)
redeye

Post by redeye »

orangeboy wrote:
rangerscott wrote:>>>>>>>>>kicked in the a__ by orangeboy! :lol: I just might take his lead though! I know it was for my own good! haha.. :lol: I do love a purist though! 8)
I just want you (and everyone else) to have better knives, and right now your knife is in severe pain! 8)

this knife is in my care now, and the original scales came with it. Thye will be replaced on the knife so it can be what is sposed to be once again lol
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

Orangeboy I don't think anyone should be insulted or offended by honest constructive criticism. ( That is unless it is directed at me. :lol: )
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

That's great news Redeye and please post some pics when it is back the way it should be. Ever since I got a Kris Kerper, I have really started liking the kris blade.
peter44

Post by peter44 »

LOVELY KNIFE :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen:
Guns for show, knives for a pro!