11" Ghost

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
eastcoastsniper

Re: 11" Ghost

Post by eastcoastsniper »

gramps wrote:That is most beautiful in a lot of ways for sure! I really like how it looks, real pleasing to the eye. Great job!
What I noticed is that, the hardest thing to do with these stilettos when building them, is incorporating the safety in the scale. Having to make that very thin slot, and not make it too wide or too long. It's a real pain in the butt. Putting a fancy little tab for a button on it, made out of nickel silver or something, shaped a little different then just round. Your fingers can't hold such a little tab, and to file it down to shape it is quit hard to do very well to make a nice safety button. Never mind all the time it takes just for a safety. When just leaving it out is so much easier. And besides, who carries these things anyway! Just put them on a shelf to look at-um, right?
I wouldn't mind putting it on my shelf.

Gramps... With the right tools, it only takes about 10 minutes to install a working safety.

Here's a thread about them....
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... tto+safety
After all is said and done, I believe the "classic" factory stiletto should have a safety, but, the custom knives.....they don't belong. They are customs, and most often, the safety just clutters up the beautiful scales. My 2 cents!
gramps

Post by gramps »

eastcoastsniper wrote:After all is said and done, I believe the "classic" factory stiletto should have a safety, but, the custom knives.....they don't belong. They are customs, and most often, the safety just clutters up the beautiful scales. My 2 cents!
Most of the customs I own don't have safeties, Merlin, Slo Joe, Nemo which I have 1 with and 2 without. Maybe a few others. But the ones I have that do have safeties like, my Burn, my Piclock Pat, that has a safety and one that doesn't. Well the ones I have that do have a safety, I like much better, because I can carry them in my pocket to show them off when I want to, without incident, and they look pretty damn good to me with that safety. That's just my 2 cents.

And your right about having the right tools, and only taking about 10 minutes to do it. But it's still a pain in the butt to put one in, verses leaving one out.

To me, It's more practical to have a safety, nevermind it being much safer. LOL!!!
If by adding a safety is done properly and making it a custom safety, I think, makes for a much more desirable custom knife. And of course all this is only my owe opinion. :|
Both ways I are fine with in my book, it's just that I lean more towards having one than not.
If I only knew!
sandbar

Post by sandbar »

Ver y sweet knife Kaleb.

This knife is in a league of its own. I love the bottom bolsters being replaced with the scale.

I have not seen this done until now.

I agree with gramps, no safety means no pocket carry, unless it is a leverlock, which are my favorites for this very reason. No need for a safety. :idea:
Results are directly driven, by the work that is done.
rangerscott

Post by rangerscott »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :)
warbird

Post by warbird »

wow !!!!!!!!