Schrade Safety Push Button

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Cigarman

Schrade Safety Push Button

Post by Cigarman »

Wow, it's been a month of Sundays since I've been here. I haven't been doing anything with springers in the past year or so but this came up and I thought I would give it a try. My Chiropractor inherited his grandfathers toolbox when he passed. Inside the toolbox was this knife. Unfortunately, it looked nothing like this at the time. The scales were all busted, the spring was broken and the whole thing was just a rusty lump. Thankfully it was just a bit of surface rust with very minor pitting. He knew I made knives and showed it to me during one of my visits to him. He then asked if it could be fixed. I've never rebuilt an old knife but I said what the hell, I'll give it a shot. I completely disassembled the knife and began cleaning, sanding, polishing and rebuilding the new parts. Here is the final result.

I tried researching this knife and all I could find was something similar. It's a Schrade Safety Push Button. All the ones that I could find on the web do not have the swing guard. Does anyone have any additional info on this model with the swing guard??

Thanks for looking!

Bill

Knives and Stuff

Desktop

Re: Schrade Safety Push Button

Post by Desktop »

Cigarman wrote:Wow, it's been a month of Sundays since I've been here. I haven't been doing anything with springers in the past year or so but this came up and I thought I would give it a try. My Chiropractor inherited his grandfathers toolbox when he passed. Inside the toolbox was this knife. Unfortunately, it looked nothing like this at the time. The scales were all busted, the spring was broken and the whole thing was just a rusty lump. Thankfully it was just a bit of surface rust with very minor pitting. He knew I made knives and showed it to me during one of my visits to him. He then asked if it could be fixed. I've never rebuilt an old knife but I said what the hell, I'll give it a shot. I completely disassembled the knife and began cleaning, sanding, polishing and rebuilding the new parts. Here is the final result.

I tried researching this knife and all I could find was something similar. It's a Schrade Safety Push Button. All the ones that I could find on the web do not have the swing guard. Does anyone have any additional info on this model with the swing guard??

Thanks for looking!

Bill
Nice work Bill!
The knife is a 4 7/8" Schrade "Hunter's Pride". This knife originally had "Hunter's Pride" etched on the blade. I'm not sure if the scales are original and I don't know what the tang stamp says. It could either be "SCHRADE" over "CUT. CO." over "WALDEN, NY" - or - "SCHRADE" over "WALDEN" over either "NY" or "NY, USA". These were made in a variety of scale materials including buttermilk celluloid, marine pearl, stagged celluloid, and jigged bone. According to Mark Erickson's book, a mint "SCHRADE CUT. CO." knife is valued anywhere from $850 to $1300 depending on the scale material. The later "SCHRADE WALDEN" version in black stagged celluloid (i.e., Delrin) has a mint value of $650.
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Great job on the restoration, Bill. Too bad he didn't just give it to you. :wink:
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
redeye

Post by redeye »

what were the original scales made of?bone or the jigged plastic like they are now?the blade used to have "HUNTERS PRIDE " etched on it. it is a model G1544 3/4 these came with several types of scales bone stag was the most common then stagged celuloid ,buttermilk celuloid and the holy grail of schrades the marine pearl celuloid. either way it is a very desirable knife and the redo that you did is awesome work congratulations on a fine job. if it was in mint original condition it would be worth about 650 bucks and more.the bolsters and guards are nickle silver and the liners are steel. the blade should be stamped on the front SCHRADE over CUT CO over WALDEN,NY on the back US PATS over Feb13,06 overSept 13, 10 over June 6, 16. i hope this helps
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
redeye

Post by redeye »

i see that desktop beat me to the punch here but the info is the same. hey DT i am pretty sure all the ones with guards had the same back stamp with the later dates.
Dick Carroll

Post by Dick Carroll »

Fine looking restore!
All who enter here bring happiness, some by staying, some by leaving...
Desktop

Post by Desktop »

redeye wrote:i see that desktop beat me to the punch here but the info is the same. hey DT i am pretty sure all the ones with guards had the same back stamp with the later dates.
We'll see when he replies to these posts. If those are the original scales it's most likely a Schrade Walden. Not sure about the patent dates, I think there are some older ones also but these would all be Schade Cut.Co. stamped.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

The original knife had mahogany colored jigged bone handles and were replaced with the closest jigged bone I could find. The originals were pretty much junk. The button side was missing the entire lower half and the other side was all chipped out right under the bolster.

One side of the tang reads:
Schrade
Cutco
Walden NY

The other side says:
US Pats
DEC 21.09.
SEPT 13.10.
JUNE6.16.

Thanks for the information on the knife. Now I will be able to tell him bit more.

Just out of curiosity, what would a restore like this be worth. I won't mention what I got for it. :D
Knives and Stuff

redeye

Post by redeye »

ok so that wouod mean that it is a model G1543 3/4 which is still a nice knife but the more common handles used so not as scarce,if you wanna know what the work value for the restore is i think its priceless because i cant do that type of work. the knife being restored will prolly be worth about 4 or 5 hunnert bucks maybe more to the right guy but i imagine he wil wanna keep the knife since it was his gramps and he is a doctor so he prolly dont need the cash.i hope he paid you at least enuff so ya can take your lady out to a lobster dinner some where nice or you can just buy yourself another bunch of knifemaking stuff and just dont tell her at all lol still a great job on the knife my friend
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Whatever you charged for it I'm sure was fair, you did a beautiful job.
What knife?

hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

WOW
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Terrific job!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

8) :!:
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Damn, now I'm really jealous! Nice restoration. I wish that I had one just like it. I'd wind up using it for it's original purpose... it's a genuine hunting knife that ws engineered from the beginning as an automatic.

Great piece.
Fishtail Picklock
bowtieray

Post by bowtieray »

Hello Cigarman, I have a safety button Schrade with one broken scale on opposite of button side, my paratrooper works flawlessly and has the bale, which I understand is a little more of the rare variety? but, was admiring your resto on here and was wanting to inquire where you found the replacement scales..any help would be greatly appreciated..Bob