The latest addition

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

The latest addition

Post by Bonzo »

Ladies, Fish, and Gentlemen,

Finally dug out the camera, and I only had enough battery life to do 2 pics on this 9" Edwin Jay picklock I picked up last week.

Image This ones going in for an overhaul one of these days.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Last edited by Bonzo on Fri May 16, 2003 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bonz,

What does it need in the way of an overhaul? How thick is the backspring / kickspring? Are the scales in as good a condition as they appear to be? How much does it weigh in comparason to a modern horn 9 incher? Where did the name "Edwin J" come from?

Oh, by the way - nice find, the blade looks to be completely full!

Jim
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Jim D,

This one has been well used. A lot of minor scratches, and the scales need a good buffing. The spring in the button mechanism is broken, so after I close it, I have to turn the button side down so the locking pin seats. Unfortunately, the blade has been sharpened, but is the damage is minimal. The liners, blade, backspring are all bigger than the 9's of today. This one has a really nice kick and lock-up. As far as Edwin Jay, all I know is it was made in Italy.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Bonz was that the one on E-bay thet said the spring didn't work? I bid on that one to. Amazing what even a broken EJ or other sought after stamps can get price wise. It is a great addition to your collection even if left broken and displayed open no one knows except you. But as a true switch freak you know you'll get it tweaked as well you should. Let me know if you need any names but I'm sure you have that covered. Great knife.
PB
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Bonz,

My understanding is that there are some folks that can work wonders. As you know, at least a few are members here.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that name Edwin J had something to do with the importer or distributor, but don't remember the details. I'm sure one of our resident historians will provide the answer..

Jim
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Jim Looks like are posts crossed with in one minute. Is that a record?
PB
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Pushbutton,

I got it on BA. Hardly anyone bid on it, probably because it wasn't listed in the antique section. Aside from the button spring, it works fine. In fact, that knife is reminding me of the right way to close a switchblade. A bad habit that gets me a few dirty looks at knife shows from time to time.

Best Regard's,

Bonz
Thomas Jefferson
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

PB,

It's funny the things that we remember (and sometimes scary the things we don't). The same thing happened to you in response to my first post on the old orange and brown. It was titled "Questions from a newcomer" and you and either Vagrant or Greyblade posted answers at virtually the same time.

Jim
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Edwin Jay "Hoffritz."
Bill
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Nice little treasure you found there Bonzo. Love the grind on the bayo blade.