60's Swedged Swinguard Stiletto Switchblade Set

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Re: 60's Swedged Swinguard Stiletto Switchblade Set

Post by Tom19176 »

Crowley prints...the old days! I wonder what he did when he got out? I assume he no longer sold knives....Never heard of him again.....
gunner

Post by gunner »

Thanks guys!! BTB, I didn't know you were after that Spanish one. There's more out there for sure, if I come across one I'll let you know! Orangeboy, your responsible for some of my top favorites, real humdingers!! I can't thank you enough. Grouping pics is a terrific idea!! I'll have to do that soon. Thanks for posting that Crowley page dragonsteel!! I know someone that has several of all the colors 8) A nice bit of info on the Boker marked swings there, too. Guess I was a little off on memory, the drawing is in the pattern of the green one, but in stag (or bunthorn by Crowley's description). For some reason I was thinking the drawing had a longer handle and wider guards. That "Never Again" type otf on the bottom reminds me, I need to get a vintage Italian swing guard with the Gustav Branner stamp. Remember that one Dragon? Priced like gold.
Tom, You are one interesting guy that certainly got around in the post-transitional glory days!! I never discovered Crowley's, they might have closed before I discovered the scene. Seeing their "list" today makes me want to spend my whole paycheck, very exciting stuff. Also interesting that they had an art department instead of photos. The only seller I was able to find in the early 90's was Bill Todd Ent. They were great, but didn't carry a single swing guard! EdgeCo stopped carrying the big Korean swing before I discovered them too. It was the perfect storm, I'm hooked!!
ImageImage
Last edited by gunner on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRINGER KÖNIG
dragonsteel

Post by dragonsteel »

gunner wrote:Thanks guys!! BTB, I didn't know you were after that Spanish one. There's more out there for sure, if I come across one I'll let you know! Orangeboy, your responsible for some of my top favorites, real humdingers!! I can't thank you enough. Grouping pics is a terrific idea!! I'll have to do that soon. Thanks for posting that Crowley page dragonsteel!! I know someone that has several of all the colors 8) A nice bit of info on the Boker marked swings there, too. Guess I was a little off on memory, the drawing is in the pattern of the green one, but in stag (or bunt horn by Crowley's description). For some reason I was thinking the drawing had a longer handle and wider guards. That "Never Again" type otf on the bottom reminds me, I need to get a vintage Italian swing guard with the Gustav Branner stamp. Remember that one Dragon? Priced like gold.
Tom, You are one interesting guy that's certainly been around in the post-transitional glory days!! I never discovered Crowley's, they might have closed before I discovered the scene. Seeing their "list" today makes me want to spend my whole paycheck, very exciting stuff. Also interesting that they had an art department instead of photos. The only seller I was able to find in the early 90's was Bill Todd Ent. They were great, but didn't carry a single swing guard! EdgeCo stopped carrying the big Korean swing before I discovered them too. It was the perfect storm, I'm hooked!!
ImageImage
Gunner I think I found that guys phone # yesterday .He once called me back about two months later to see if I wanted to buy it. I missed the call and didn't really have the $ at the time I may call back see if he still has it. It was you that first noticed the ears were a "G" and a "B" . I had that stamp on a Bonza swinger.
Last edited by dragonsteel on Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

I've seen the DIVUS EXTRA stamps a number times. In fact I bought one off the Sharperdeals Auction site about 3 years ago for $75, and traded it to a friend in Mississippi. Uncommon maybe, but they are out there.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I'm just gonna say that you have an unbeleivably awesome collection going on gunner! 8) :!:
Leverlock switchblades
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

There were a handful of sellers back in the late 70s on: Crowley, Monica Smidts, Bill Todd, Tios Imports, Bob Tack ( Bob T Still around), Adams Intl ( Barry Adams still around), Phils Fine Cutlery, and a few others. Crowley was a salesman in a store and he used that address to get his cutlery products sent to him. He got several of the Customs warning letters but never took them seriouly, until one day...He was sentenced to one year but I am not sure how long he spent in jail....His printed sheets were fun to look at. His prices tended to be high for the time. Here is his story:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... oULItEYpEQ
gunner

Post by gunner »

Big story on Crowley's, wow!! Thanks for the link. I knew what happened to owner, but didn't know all of that. His lists reek of multiple employees, all professional like. Great descriptions too, in the old school type. He was one helluva salesman, of course the product made that easy 8) Some were crudely editing theirs with tape and handwriting, they still excited. I'd love to hear his today story on the scene. Rick Hamilton and Bill Todd too. I keep hoping someone will unexpectedly pop onto a forum someday or better yet, the auctions with a dusty box of new-old-stock!!
SPRINGER KÖNIG
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

gunner wrote:Thanks F-T-A, BTB, john and everyone, I appreciate the comments!! This summer had been a dry spell for vintage swing guard additions, that is, until this week. I got in 3 vintage beauties!! The green "Boker" on the bottom I got a while back from SDBob, it's got the coolest light-catching, green pearlex handles. More recently from Sharperdeals auction I got a Boker marked variant in stag with a broader, leverlock-like blade on a 9" frame. This one reminds me a lot of the drawings I saw in the old "Crowley" catalogs. The next two I got from a kind & generous member here that acquired them from a source in Italy. To avoid exposure, I'll call him Mr. Citrus ; ) You can tell these babies were untouched for YEARS!! The first is a 9" swedged swing guard stiletto in stag. Beyond the pages of "Switchblades of Italy" and "Foreign Spring Steel" I never thought I'd find a vintage stag 9" swing guard, I even had a few folks look out for me at Bladeshow a couple times. This one is a dream, the only one thing that might stop someone from calling it dead mint is some very light peppering in spots on the backspring (outside only). I like the peppering, so I'll call it honest/dead mint 8) Last in line is a style I once owned but swapped away a while ago. I'm glad I recaptured one!! It's a very minty 70's Spanish faux stag swing guard (aka the Hellraiser knife). The 3 Italian knives close deep and lock up perfectly with no blade or guard wobble, the 60's 9" especially has the precision feel. This is always exciting and desirable, but I've become acquainted to the performance of a great example of a vintage Italian, though it was shocking at first. I'm now well acquaited to the lock-up possibilities of Japanese rizzutos too. Well, I got shocked for the first time all over again with the old Spanish knife!! I was expecting it to have a substantial amount of blade and guard wobble, like my last one had. I had always accepted it as part of the design and was also told they were all like this. The blade on this new arrival locks up tight, the guards won't even wiggle...open or closed!! WOW!!! I've only seen 2 in person, but I'd dare guess that a solid one is pretty uncommon. Not to mention the gorgeous stag scales on the two Italians!! I don't think I'll have another knife week this exciting for a long time. Thanks again Mr. Citrus, they will be treasured!!

Hi Gunner i think i owned that green Boker swing some years ago, it was a mint condition knife i sold it to collector guy named Mike Sloan , not sure if he sold it or still has it but the green Boker swings are pretty rare as ive only seen 1 ever, i kinda regret selling it but you cant keep them all lol .
Thanks Bernie *******Folgore Knives USA *******
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Here is an example of the Divus stamp with my Raimondo.

orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

Awesome DIVUS Jackalope!! Now that is a whole different knife than a Divus Extra. The DIVUS picklocks with the stamp transversely on the blade are rare and impossible to find knives. You'll never find another one!

Don't confuse the DIVUS picklock marked like Jackalope's with a Divus Extra 1960's or 1970's swivel bolster.
The Divus extras are much more common and less desirable.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Gunner did you notice who Crowley's lawyer was? Nathan Bey Myers! Think one of the authors of a switchblade book.......
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

What a great thread this is. Very interesting, with lots of beautiful knives.

I especially like those mid-lock Rizzutos. I've never seen that style before. They are awesome looking.
exumer2687

Post by exumer2687 »

gunner wrote: Image

Those stag swingers are absolutely amazing :D
woody500

Post by woody500 »

Great thread!
gunner

Post by gunner »

It's been awhile and I'm way behind on forum activity, but I hope you all had a great Christmas & New Year
Last edited by gunner on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRINGER KÖNIG