Spring Blade's First Mikov Project

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
javacupper

Re: Spring Blade's First Mikov Project

Post by javacupper »

Great Job, Spring. Even if you peen the other pins on the knife, I still like to use ECS's method with the 1/8" pivot barrel and torx screws. www.usaknifemaker.com has the pivots, torx screws and a #31 drill, reamer combo. www.knifekits.com has 2-56 x 1/8" torx screws so you don't have to cut one of the screws that come with the pivot barrel. I've got 4 more Mikov kits on the way from David as we speak.
The only thing I take seriously in life is death but I haven't gotten there yet!Image
Spring Blade

Post by Spring Blade »

Thanks JC! :)

Yeah, I definitely agree with the pivot barrel approach.

Peening the pivot pin on a Mikov is pretty challenging!

It was just a matter of studying up on all the bits and pieces and then getting them in place, and now you've made that easy! :)

I'm a little leary on using screws on the scales though.

I have two Mikov's that 'Sniper built with the torx screws and the screws are just so small I can't help but worry about how the teeny tiny little threads in the liner might hold up over time...

Especially if you're like me and can't resist the temptation to try to remove them or tighten them! :oops:

Hey 'Sniper, have you had any issues with these screws or holes stripping out?

I'll follow up with a PM to 'Sniper...

By the way, any and all thoughts, suggestions or advice is welcome from any of you, so thanks JC for taking the time to add the links with your comments! :)
Happiness is a Warm Gun and a Sharp Blade (or Two).
eastcoastsniper

Post by eastcoastsniper »

I've never had any stripping . Image . issues. :D :o i think you have a couple of the knives I made with the smaller 1-72 screws. they do look small for the knife, but, they seemed to hold the scales tight. I use 2-56 for most projects now. I haven't made a mikov in a while, and I'm enjoying watching the progress made by other members.