the "lanyard"

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

hey good ideas from both of you! my MT's didn't come with instructions - papers, but no instructions on tying lanyards!

mr PB - i especially like your idea - children working endless hours, churning out high quality lanyards by the hundreds - i could pay them with pennies while my lanyard empire grows to collosus preportions :twisted: - a whole new generation of oliver twist's :twisted:

but one question - what's gimp? are you saying i should use handicapped kids? :shock:

hey mr blackjack - how did you find this forum anyway?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Gimp is a coated cord [usually flat] that many generations a kids at camp have braided or woven into attractive [and sometimes silly] items, the most common being [you guessed it] lanyards.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Just looking around, I have quite a bit of experience putting wristloops at he ends of bullwhips crops quirts and blackjacks and many of these techniques can easily translate to lanyards at the ends of blades.
Post Script; your canucks really pulled it off last night, congrats to you and all of them.

blackjack
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

you're not on the 'nucks bandwaggon mr blackjack? i got to watch the game at a buddies last night on his 93" screen - ohhhh yeah baby!

now if the lads can win the next two as well! send those dirty wrotten no good aughta be tossed outta the NHL "blues" off to the golf course! :wink:
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

As Canadians we reserve the right to be a bunch of raving hockey madmen, and Im no exception. I love the canucks but when I started watching Vancouver didnt have a team yet. Bobby Orr was the popular
hockey phenomenon at the time and the Bruins remain my favorite team to this day, thank god they were not the first team out. Im like a friend of mine, a rabid westerner who hates all things eastern, but dont say anything bad about the maple leafs.
In regards to the term gimp, thats just the name given to a type of lace
used for various braiding and lacing projects, you see it a lot in inexpensive wallets from countries where labour prices are low, but your
right, the term sounds sort of politically incorrect today.

blackjack
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

well - here is my first attempt - not pretty, but better that it was from MT!

hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I have a 95 LUDT, the ones without the clip that has the lanyard on it. I can see how that would help get it out of the pocket if you let it hang out the corner of your pocket.

On the other ones with the clips I can't see a reason for it unless you were going to use it near water or down in a well.(I have lost several screwdrivers working down in my well before)
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Mr. Bigg, that diagram came from Mr. Chris Reeve's website. He uses them on his Sebenza's!

Here is my Sebbie! Well, I get it tomorrow. :)

Here are some more links.

http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread.php ... adid=11384

http://131.230.57.1/knots/m_fist.htm

Fancy knots, but no how to's.

http://www.knotical-arts.com/index.html
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Man 5.0- between your new sebbie and that new chopper of yours, you should be set for... err, 2 or 3 days :wink:
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

Haha, ya they should hold me for a while. :) Still waitin' on 4 more 3 being pre-orders. I think I need to buy my *** man a Christmas present this year.
catavenger

Lanyard

Post by catavenger »

I had a friend of mine ( a good machinist ) punch a hole in the end of my Buck 110 for a lanyard never found much use for it still its nice to have that option.
DISTORTION

Post by DISTORTION »

boyscout handbook gentlemen.

try some kevlar shroud-line,thats what i use.

i prefer more of a fob than a traditional lanyard,nestles right
in between yer fingers and has saved more than one blade
from becomingoutta-sight-baby.........
bob ingram

lanyards,book&use of

Post by bob ingram »

there is a book,called the book of knots,this shows all types of knots and fancy rope work,also another way,is parachute cord and the use of a sleeve,slid the two ends of cord into sleeve,and heat the ends of para cord and they fuse,you can adjust the sleeve,to your needs,and cut off excess,and it doesnt slid off,as to uses,this might not be a true lanyard,but before custom makers started wrapping handles with para chute cord,grunts were doing it in nam and earlier,as you never knew when you could use a peice of heavy duty line that was light, it has a lot of differant uses in the field,you run line throught lanyard hole,and wrap it around handle,this gave you 5/6 ft of usable line ,if done right :wink:
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Good info Bob and Welcome to our funhouse.
PB
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

i'll second that - welcome, and thanks for the tip on the book...
i've been thinking about putting a lanyard on the 9" pink milano i'm sending mr pushbutton for x-mas 8)