the "lanyard"

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Vagrant wrote:like the time I told a girl that a chair was genuine Nagahyde and I had to hunt down and kill the Nauga myself. She asked "Why couldn't they use vinyl?"
I got a Volvo 240 wagon dark grey with black Pleather interior. They came up with a whole new word for fake leather Pleather. I tell people it's genuine pleather specially treated to last forever. When they see all the rips in the drivers side seat I just say it was my wife being careless. I figure they don't need to know that knives in the back pocket with a clip rips the shit out of your seats and knife people just smile and say that looks like my seat cause they already know :wink:
PB
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

"I figure they don't need to know that knives in the back pocket with a clip rips the shit out of your seats "
One of the truest statements I've ever read.
My 65 Ford has a slit in the seat that will catch on the clip and "pickpocket" you with great finesse. The first time this happened I went to cut something and my Godfather was GONE, and I had no idea where it went. I was at work and looked all over the building for it thinking I left it on a machine. I was very relieved to find it on the seat when I went home.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

The latigo braid is very handy to fasten a strap when you have no rivits or sewing implements.
Take a strap and thread it through the ring, bail or swivel you want to fasten it to.
Using a blade a little narrower than the strap(for best results), cut a slit lengthwise in the strap and pull the lower section of strap through the slit.
Repeat the process as often as you see fit, three will hold a pretty good strain-it helps to cut the strap ends off at an angle for easiest braiding.
A latigo saddle string-sold at shoe shops or Tandy Leather-works very well, as latigo is a reddish brown on the smooth(grain) side and yellow on the rough(flesh) side.
This makes a nice appearance-you can try dyeing other leathers two colors, but this can miscarry-two straps of different colors work best for this effect.
Cow punchers uses this method to fasten horse tack together, as it was strong, and easy to do in the field.
Dog leashes, knife fobs(handy for quick retrieval of any knife with a bail), lanyards for other items-you no wanna lose it, a lanyard is very cheap insurance, all are easily produced by this method.
(This is why conchos were used in cowboy gear,and why they have two slits in them. Just join the leather straps, cut two slits in them, run the latigo strap through the slits, put on a concho and do a three slit braid-fast, strong, and user repairable.).
The more narrow the strap, the neater the braid looks.
Police here in Baltimore used to have their espantoons rigged with a complicated strap, often with a swivel in it, which was latigo braided-most cops farmed out this job, as they didn't know how to do it-and often the ends were cut into three or more thongs, and knotted-long ago, police would use these straps to chastise errant children with a few whacks upon the bare legs of the short, pantsed kiddies.
Try that with an ASP baton!
Another prime bit of espantoon lore is the custom of turning the grip of the stick into a complicated shape, much larger around than it would be comfortable to hold.
The stick was not allowed to be thicher than an inch and a quarter, but the handle could be any shape or size.
So the po-leese would but a finger through the strap, and holding it by the very end, have a veritable mace to smite the unruly.
The swivel was for fancy twirling manuvers, of which there were many.
Life has no value, but death has it's price
SCOOTER

Post by SCOOTER »

HELLO,
HOW YALL DOIN
IM NEW HERE
AND WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS ABOUT THIS PDQ GUY AND A STU711
ARE THEY RELIABLE
I WAS THINKIN OF BIIDIN ON SOME OF THERE WARES ?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

SCOOTER
daddyloko

Post by daddyloko »

Scooter welcome to Talk Blade. You've wondered into the right Asylum.
Stu is a reliable seller. There's a thread around here that can give you the low-down on reputable merchants, but I couldn't locate it for you. I'm sure one of the other switchaholics here knows it's whereabouts.
While in the meantime, read some of the past posts and get a feel as to the fun we have here. And if you have a pic of yourself, don't be shy...
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Yeah Welcome Scooter
One thing there are tons of old people here so you don't have to yell just shut your caps lock off and the world will be that much nicer.
PB
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Scooter, funny you should ask. It's a strange coincidence, but I remember from an earlier post that PDQ is run by a guy named Scooter?! In any case, Stu's rep can't be beat and my experience with PDQ was good as far as a couple of clones are concerned.
SCOOTER

Post by SCOOTER »

Thanks for the help and info
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Welcome Scooter
Pull up a chair and take a load off your feet. [You may have to wait until someone gets up to get a drink, then steal his chair].
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

Considering the time and trouble it takes to produce such things, five bucks is a fair price-nice macrame work, too.
Love the skulls!
Life has no value, but death has it's price
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

thanks for the link benny! i'm gonna get a couple - but i like the black one better! the only thing i don't like about it being pre-looped is that it always hangs off to the side - and not straight out the back of the knife..
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

just bought two 8)
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

cool- tell us what ya think when ya get em.
I have quite a few skull beads and Im working on my lacing skills.
Gonna be a while... That guys work is tight.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

got those lanyards in yesterday - they are quite nice - i thought they only had two skulls, but they have four...a good buy at $5!!!

thanks again for the link mr benny!