Camillus CUDA EDC

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mr_Guano

Camillus CUDA EDC

Post by Mr_Guano »

Hi!

Along with my Emerson CQC7 I got a Camillus CUDA EDC.
I ordered it just to 'fill' the order, so I didn't expect anything great from this knife.
But after playing with the Emerson, I started looking at this EDC...
It's a neat knife, and it looks sweet.
Overall length: 6.875" (Emerson CQC: 8.0")
Blade length: 3.125" (Emerson CQC: 3.375")
Blade steel: 154CM
Handle: Stainless steel.
Thickness: About as thick as a normal CD case (a little slimmer, actually).
Feel in hand: Good for such a small handle.
Lock reliability: The framelock feels very reliable. It's got positive lockup and easy release.
One hand operability: Simple, but the thumbstud CAN feel a little awkwardly placed.

The skeletonized handles looks great, and the black pocket clip is skeletonized to match the holes in the handle as well.
It rides low in the pocket (tip down), and it's so slim you won't know it's there.

The part of the frame that functions as the lock has a ball in it to prevent the blade from touching the frame (liner) when opening/closing.
The ball doubles as a blade lock in the closed position, because it falls in to a cavity in the blade when closed.
The blade will never accidently open. I think.
(All my linerlock knives have this ball, but this is the first I've seen where it works as a lock!)
The properties of this ball-lock actually makes the knife easier to open.
You have to work up a little pressure to release the blade from the ball, and that makes the blade 'jump' when it's free.

Of course I've made a video :)
You can see it HERE.
As usual the video is of poor quality (and no sound)... But you'll get the picture.
If not, I'll make a new one on request.
[as you can see, my thumb is perfectly normal. the opening technique doesn't require special training.]

Thank you,
Mr_G
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

The ball is called the detent and its more of a catch so that it keeps the blade from sliding open by itself. When you say Cuda do you mean the one based on Terazola's design or the new EDC designed by Darryl Ralph? Because if yours is skeltonized its also a frame lock which is the same lock Chris Reeve has always used and the detent is made stronger. Thr earlier CUDA had the zig zag button opening system. Sounds like yours is the Ralph model and I have heard good things about it.
PB
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

Pushbutton wrote:Their earlier CUDA had the zig zag button opening system. Sounds like yours is the Ralph model and I have heard good things about it.
PB
Thanks for clearing up the detent issue. Ball detent... I knew I should've known the name for that.
yup, mine is the D Ralph model.

zig zag button opening? Could you elaborate?

Mr_G
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

You had to slide the button sort of down then forward to open. It had no spring or assist it was just their locking system. They were out about 3 or 4 yrs ago. The scales were G-10 and I don't remember the blade steel. I'm not sure but Will Fennel who works for Camilious might still host there form over on Bladeforums. You could check there if you needed to see a pic of one.
PB
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

Pushbutton wrote:You had to slide the button sort of down then forward to open. It had no spring or assist it was just their locking system. They were out about 3 or 4 yrs ago. The scales were G-10 and I don't remember the blade steel. I'm not sure but Will Fennel who works for Camilious might still host there form over on Bladeforums. You could check there if you needed to see a pic of one.
PB
I'll check when BladeForums get their new servers goin'. They're down for the moment...
G-10 scales? Must've been super light, then?

And I just made a new video... you'll find it HERE.
Turned down the resolution to get the framerate higher... damn that cam!
NOTE: this knife doesn't have any kind of assisted opening (it's all thumb, LOL).

thanks,
Mr_G
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Thanks for the tip on BF. I haven't been able to get in for a week and when I travel to the other forums no one mentions it so I wasn't sure what was happening.
PB
Mr_Guano

Post by Mr_Guano »

Pushbutton wrote:Thanks for the tip on BF. I haven't been able to get in for a week and when I travel to the other forums no one mentions it so I wasn't sure what was happening.
PB
Yeah, I think the server cracked under pressure... They had to move to something bigger and better.

Mr_G