Discontinued Cutco knife info

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jonlittle

Discontinued Cutco knife info

Post by jonlittle »

Could anyone give me some information on a knife made by CUTCO that was called the Explorer? on the blade it is number 1065, and I would like any information about it as I have recieved my grandfathers old one. Information I wish to obtain including approx date of discontinue, etc.
thanks

Oh by the way, this blade has black spots and alight pitting, I have tried buffing with a light compund but cant get them out. Any hints for removing this discoloration without damaging the blade?
Logic is just an excuse for thinking the obvious
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Don't know much about Cutco knives, never owned one. My advise would be to contact customer service on their web site.
http://www.cutco.com
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
jonlittle

Post by jonlittle »

Yeah had to call them a while back to find out what the name of the thing. Pretty cool knife but since its Cutco its not really something to brag about (They dont use the greatest quality materials but keep an edge for a while and have that lovely lifetime warranty deal). Major reason i am wondering is that it is my way of reminding myself of my grandfather, as it was his before he died.

And I like you all love anythoing I can accidentally cut myself with.
Logic is just an excuse for thinking the obvious
FivePointOh

Post by FivePointOh »

LOL, I went to a Cutco seminar for recruiting sales people. Reminded me of a Amway sales plan. I said no thanks. :P
Dossat7

Re: Discontinued Cutco knife info

Post by Dossat7 »

I believe that's the puma sportsman hunting knife. The only one with the name "explorer" in it is the Cutco/kabar explorer.
Jarvis94264

Post by Jarvis94264 »

Cutco knives are forever guaranteed. The Cutco/Kabar Explorer is still made by the company. If you send the knife to the factory they will fix it or replace it for free (you pay for shipping). If you don't want it replaced, just include a note asking them to not replace it.
kwackster

Post by kwackster »

I've never seen one in real life as Cutco knives were never sold here in Europe, but what i do know is that the blade design was "inspired" by the Puma White Hunter & Auto Messer models, while the handle design was licensed from Charles Lamb aka the handle man.
From what i've read on other forums the steel was quite well hardened and held an edge if sharpened properly.
One day i hope to obtain one in good condition for my own collection, but so far i've never found a US seller willing to ship a nice one to Europe for a fair price.