Old Leather Razor Strop -- what dressing to restore? + ?

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Patriot

Old Leather Razor Strop -- what dressing to restore? + ?

Post by Patriot »

Hi
Two questions really.

First: I just inherited a very old, very dried leather razor strop from my Dad. He has not used it in over 30 years. I know a good deal about stones, rods, etc. but am new to the razor strop world. What kind of "dressing" as Dad calls it, is good to condition the leather with?

Second: I heard a while back, that a leather strop is a good "final touch" to put on a blade after it has been sharpened. I have heard that Chromium Dioxide paste is good to use for this purpose.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks. :idea:
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

For your first question, I don't have a good answer for you. I have always used neetsfoot oil or mink oil to keep mine up, but for restoring one, I have no idea. I know I tried to restore an old (50+ years) saddle scabbard with neetsfoot, and it fell apart. As for the dressing, it may be something along the lines of jeweler's rouge, to add some grit to the leather.

I have always used a strop to add the final touch to the edge of my blades. When I am without a strop, the soft leather on the top of my boots works well, and so does a suede backed belt. Not sure about the chromium dioxide though, never even heard of the stuff before. ( A testiment to my ignorance)
McG
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Sorry no clue on how to restore one, but i've tried and use Dovo leather paste conditioner from the Knifecentre on mine. Maybe worth a try.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... html?s=J55
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Xarathos

Post by Xarathos »

You may want to refer this question to Bill DeShivs and/or Vagrant. If they don't know chances are it can't be done.
"All right you primitive screw heads listen up."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Take your pick from :
Renaissance Wax
Saddle soap
Butcher's Wax
If Bill has a better choice, go with it :idea:
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Try a place like http://www.classicshaving.com for some strop conditioner.
Patriot

Thanks for all the input

Post by Patriot »

whippersnapper wrote:Try a place like http://www.classicshaving.com for some strop conditioner.
I appreciate the advice.
Glad to be on this forum.
The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I have quite a few old straight razors, but I have never tried to shave with one. No need reallt cuz I look a lot like a mountain man. One of these days I may try to use one and get cleaned up and go to town. Either to raise hell.....Or for medical attention to stop the bleeding! :lol:
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

I learned to shave with a straight razor, and never had a problem with cutting myself. Then I joined the military. My TI saw that I had packed my razor and thought I was suicidal. Now its the Mach III for me.
McG
bukowsky

Post by bukowsky »

I agree with the use of neetsfoot oil to condition the leather of the strop. And yes,it adds that final finish to a frhly honed blade.
Bukowsky
namvet687

strop conditioner

Post by namvet687 »

I have an old strop and I use it a lot. But when I bought it it was fairly dry. I used something calle Shoe Renew. The stuff is loaded with lanolin and works great. I got mine at a now out of business leather shop. But it should be available at any shop or high end shoe store.
Life is so much simpler when you're armed.