Cleaning, polishing and buffing

This forum is for general discussion regarding anything that cuts.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
lvickery

Cleaning, polishing and buffing

Post by lvickery »

What is the word on shinning up an old blade? Does it adversly effect the value if all the gunk and stains are removed from a blade. Im about to practice on a old junker just to see what I can do. Any good pointers?
Using Simichrome, buffing compounds.
I have been to knife 101 and did not see much on the topic of restoration.

Also I read that a spring blade could be stored in either the open or closed position. Does this make sense? I would thing the spring would lose tension over time.
Thanks
I'll have to figure something sharp for this block.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I don't think any knife would lose any value, if it has been cleaned up. I perfer all my knives clean and spotless. Also use simichrome to buff up the blades and bolsters on all my knifes.
As far as storing a knife in the open or closed position, don't think it matters. This was already discussed on another thread.
Myself i display all my knives in the open position with nice polished blades.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
mikeknifenut

Blue Magic

Post by mikeknifenut »

Hello all,just wanted to share a product I found.I just hit bottom on my 3 year old can of renaissance wax. The owner of a local knife store showed me a product he has used for a while.It is called Blue Magic and can be found at auto part stores.It is a polishing wax that works like ren wax but can be had for less than $5.It cleans,seals and protects from finger prints. Mike